Grizzly Madam

Re: What's on your workbench?

Post by Essex Boy »

Erm.....alright, s'pose.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

RMD wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 am ....... However, I got back from holiday to find that Bovington has been permanently cancelled. :(
That's bad news, I think that was always my favourite show. Any idea why it’s cancelled?
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

levied troop wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:51 pm
RMD wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 am ....... However, I got back from holiday to find that Bovington has been permanently cancelled. :(
That's bad news, I think that was always my favourite show. Any idea why it’s cancelled?
Yeah, it was always a brilliant weekend; the very high quality of games, the best possible venue, the on-site camping, the beer tent and the party/family atmosphere made it the best wargames show bar none. However, I've been unable to go for the last few years due to work-shifts and lack of shift-cover, but this year we're fully manned and I was 100% up for it, only to find that it's been binned permanently. :(

There is a statement from Richard Harris if you google for the Battlegroup South website, but basically the museum (which like all modern museums, is now run by professional museum-managers rather than historians and subject-matter experts) are only interested in events that attract a large wodge of cash.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

Yes, the management had been increasingly sniffy about the show, a great shame, the public/military/gamer mix of the audience was always unique in gaming shows. I’ve not been able to do it for a couple of years now for similar reasons but always hoped to get back to it.
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

This is sad.

I'd been promising myself a visit to the show for many years. Last year (or was it the year before that?) I at last made the journey south and found the show to be all I had hoped for. Just as well I finally pulled my finger out.

Iain
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

More Fallschirmjaeger awaiting varnish...
20190323_005728-1280x622.jpg
20190323_005728-1280x622.jpg (265.97 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
15mm AWI after these are done. Honest...
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

More lovely FJ!

There’s plenty of time to paint AWI
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Loverly, I didn't know that the FJ had dirt coloured helmets.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

grizzlymc wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 am Loverly, I didn't know that the FJ had dirt coloured helmets.
Tan cover. Dirty tan...
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

levied troop wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:44 pm Yes, the management had been increasingly sniffy about the show, a great shame, the public/military/gamer mix of the audience was always unique in gaming shows. I’ve not been able to do it for a couple of years now for similar reasons but always hoped to get back to it.
Battlegroup North at Yorkshire Air Museum has been cancelled a while now. For different reasons, it seems to vary in its success some years being very busy with hundreds of vehicles, displays etc and others where it was very quiet. It tended to clash with Tripples so wargames wise it was often quiet but to host games in the large hanger, amongst lots of aircraft including a 109 and a Halifax was fab! I once won 2nd place for a demo game of the early incarnations of mine and Tim H's toy soldier rules. The wargamers tended to do the Sunday. In the early days I had some frustrating visits having made a long bus/taxi journey to find almost nothing there. I got a bit tired of doing full weekend demo games, hard work but often rewarding. Real shame it stopped though. The reasons for pulling it were more to do with the advancing years of the main organisers I think, surprisd the museum didnt step in a bit more to keep it going but they are mostly volunteer run and generally more interested in aircraft.

Favourite year was when I ended up in a helicopter having a flight around the skies of York. One of the less rainy weekends that was too.