DbECW development thread.

For your Wargames Wittering
tim.w
Jezebel

Re: DbECW development thread.

Post by tim.w »

I've ordered a few 40x30 bases. Not keen on the bigger base size, so now looking at 8 figures to a base for foote, some will have pikies some possibly not and will have just muskets. 'Light' cavalry doesnt seem to be a thing in this period so all horse I expect to be x3 to a base. I thought about having separate pike/shotte with 3 bases making a unit but as Alex says we don't want to worry about the tactics as much as overall command considerations.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Light cavalry in tne period is eastern types, cossacks, tartars et al, closet ecw gets is border rievers/lancers.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

tim.w wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:44 pm I've ordered a few 40x30 bases. Not keen on the bigger base size, so now looking at 8 figures to a base for foote, some will have pikies some possibly not and will have just muskets. 'Light' cavalry doesnt seem to be a thing in this period so all horse I expect to be x3 to a base. I thought about having separate pike/shotte with 3 bases making a unit but as Alex says we don't want to worry about the tactics as much as overall command considerations.
Aesthetically 8 pikemen/command figures on the centre base and 2 'wings' of 6 shot looks good though.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Etranger wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:05 am
tim.w wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:44 pm I've ordered a few 40x30 bases. Not keen on the bigger base size, so now looking at 8 figures to a base for foote, some will have pikies some possibly not and will have just muskets. 'Light' cavalry doesnt seem to be a thing in this period so all horse I expect to be x3 to a base. I thought about having separate pike/shotte with 3 bases making a unit but as Alex says we don't want to worry about the tactics as much as overall command considerations.
Aesthetically 8 pikemen/command figures on the centre base and 2 'wings' of 6 shot looks good though.
Dammit. It does doesn't it. That would mean each cavalry unit would need the same frontage too.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I like 8, 12, 8 and a command base.
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

I suspect that having separate elements for pike and shot might be a level of granularity too far.

Wouldn't DBECW be played at a scale where a single element (whatever the size, but I can see how 60mm frontage would work better than 40mm, even for smaller scale figures) was a regiment? At the army commander level he's going to want to know if a regiment is holding it's ground or being pushed back, not whether a unit's left or right shot wing is.

If an element of 8 15mm Napoleonic infantry represent a brigade, in all its formations and deployment options, surely 1 element of ECW infantry can be a whole regiment with its 2 troop types. The basing and figure numbers compromise is part and parcel of DBx really.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Mine are based so I can use them for skirmish rather than big battles.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Wot Dave said, the DB idea is to keep it simple, one base per Regt would work nicely. You could always alter the firing strength for Regts with more or less muskets.
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Post by Ilkley Old School »

One base per unit works for me.

FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I love the way they all carry rocks to stand on....