Suddenly Sudan

For Loose Games & Shows.
ochoin
Gaynor

Suddenly Sudan

Post by ochoin »

With the impossibility of staging an ECW game this year at our annual local Train & Hobby show, we finally settled on the Sudan. Oh, well, the weather will be nicer.
I decided to run through a solo game using Black Powder for the first time. This was a "throw what you got on the table & play" sort of game - no subtilty. Just try out the gaming mechanisms.
The Anglo-Egyptians ended up narrowly winning.And the game went fairly smoothly & quickly.
Essentially, the A-Es had to travel from their camp & their riverine transport to the other end of the table.
In this game, the Nile steamers were just 'eye-candy' but they can have "bite" being heavily armed & crewed.
Dismounted Camel Corps, ready for action:
The column;
NB plenty of Scotsmen. "You can have too many Scotsmen" is a logical fallacy.
The Mahdi, himself:
Always using the terrain:
Haddendowah 'goodness':

And it's always time for a photo opportunity:

I still have things to do - figures on the painting desk, limber horses etc. And this represents half of the figures we'll be tabling when my pals add their forces.

donald
tim.w
Jezebel

Re: Suddenly Sudan

Post by tim.w »

Absolutely corking stuff! I really liked the water scenery, is that a game mat?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Tinywargames. The mat is vinyl & does look good IMO. Nice price but I had to wait almost 3 months to get it.
Evidently, lost in the post twice. I *do* think they're decent people but I think they need an organised office manager or some such.

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Awesome stuff, Donald. Very topical....I've just painted and based a bunch of Jacklex Egyptian lancers.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

The Egyptians look nice, don't they? Simple & elegant uniforms.

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

ochoin wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:09 am The Egyptians look nice, don't they? Simple & elegant uniforms.

donald
Very true.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

That looks absolutely spiffing, Donald!!! What you need to do next is to provide a massive write-up of your deeply racist game for the local newspaper, and then make sure your "mate" gets several copies of it!
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:07 pm That looks absolutely spiffing, Donald!!! What you need to do next is to provide a massive write-up of your deeply racist game for the local newspaper, and then make sure your "mate" gets several copies of it!
I'm already ahead of you.
We're dropping descriptions of the game in social media a few weeks before the Show. I can almost guarantee about 20 journalists will turn up.
Equally certain is that we should also get two raucous, opinionated & possibly armed mobs, representing both sides of the current unpleasantness in Gaza. What happens next? I'm not sure but likely not to be conducive to some quiet wargaming.

Seriously, you can't buy publicity like that.....
donald
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Stunning looking game.

Willz.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

ochoin wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:19 pm Equally certain is that we should also get two raucous, opinionated & possibly armed mobs, representing both sides of the current unpleasantness in Gaza. What happens next? I'm not sure but likely not to be conducive to some quiet wargaming.
So the possibility of some authentic sounds and smells as well then?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.