Invasion of Cuba 1762

For Loose Games & Shows.
Spanner
Gaynor

Re: Invasion of Cuba 1762

Post by Spanner »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:18 pm
And how! In 1763, Britain seriously considered handing back "New France" (ie Canada) in exchange for a couple of fairly innocuous "spice islands".
Where would you rather been in the middle of winter, mate? Manitoba or Guadaloupe? ;)
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
Panzer21
First Base

Post by Panzer21 »

Spanner wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:44 pm
BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:18 pm
And how! In 1763, Britain seriously considered handing back "New France" (ie Canada) in exchange for a couple of fairly innocuous "spice islands".
Where would you rather been in the middle of winter, mate? Manitoba or Guadaloupe? ;)
The choice between frostbite or Yellow fever.......hmm

More seriously, garrison duty in the Caribbean was a death sentence; those who lived on the islands had a degree of immunity, but Europeans died in droves......

Neil
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

If it comes down to it, hypothermia is one of the least painful ways of dying (you basically just fall asleep); recovering from hypothermia is another matter entirely, I'm reliably informed. Also, I think at that time, Manitoba was called Prince Rupert's Land and was inhabited entirely by First Nations and fur(st) traders (see what I did there?).
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Spanner
Gaynor

Post by Spanner »

Panzer21 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:20 am
The choice between frostbite or Yellow fever.......hmm

More seriously, garrison duty in the Caribbean was a death sentence; those who lived on the islands had a degree of immunity, but Europeans died in droves......

Neil
I know, Neil. Without any native immunity, nor modern knowledge of how to minimise infection, the various diseases rivalled the mediaeval "sweating sickness" and the black death. Probably outdid them at times. As for me, I'd rather have the fever than have stray bits dropping off at inconvenient times. Besides, Yellow Fever, if you survive it, can't be much worse than Ross River Fever or dengue- though my liver may disagree.
BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:20 am Manitoba was called Prince Rupert's Land and was inhabited entirely by First Nations and fur(st) traders (see what I did there?).

OK, I'll can the anachronism and make it "Canada". No, I'm trying not too see what you did there. I ate not long ago, mate. :shock:
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Still waiting for the delivery of my gaming mats from "Sally4th", paid for 48 hour delivery after a week of waiting sent an email and he got back informing me he is waiting for the items to be sent from the printers.
I am a little bit miffed I do appreciate that items sell out but why not inform you at the purchase phase about delivery times am
I wrong to expect paid for items to arrive in a certain time :( scale.

Willz.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

I'd be a bit miffed at that if no indication was given on delay.
Spanner
Gaynor

Post by Spanner »

Willz the Wargamer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 9:29 am Still waiting for the delivery of my gaming mats from "Sally4th", paid for 48 hour delivery after a week of waiting sent an email and he got back informing me he is waiting for the items to be sent from the printers.
I am a little bit miffed I do appreciate that items sell out but why not inform you at the purchase phase about delivery times am I wrong to expect paid for items to arrive in a certain time :( scale.

Willz.
Yes, mate. You should be a lot miffed, not just a little bit. You paid for a quick delivery. Sally4th should have informed you of the delay, not waited until you chased the order up.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Still waiting for my gaming mats from Sally4th, I can't see myself using him again.
It is two weeks since I placed the order with him informing me after chasing him up
that he is getting a delivery this week :x
Well it's more than I got
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

My dripping must have been transmitted to sally4th as my items have been dispatched :) horaah.
Should get them between tomorrow and Monday.

Willz.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I think that's generally known as "Sunday".....

(I'll get me coat.)
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.