Mongol Hordes

For your Wargames Wittering
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Mongol Hordes

Post by Zenbadger »

My DBA renaissance continues and while I am working on Thebans and Spartans I fancy something a bit different. Inspired by the magnificent HU Band (Wolf Totem just to give you a taste) I feel like some Mongolians but apart from Essex I can't find much in the way of Mongol Conquest figures. Anyone got any ideas for figures? Suggestions for reading material would be welcome too.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Re: Mongol Hordes

Post by grizzlymc »

Ah yes, Essex Mongols. In those vast wastes, even the Mongols could not penetrate.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Mike Sayce did a great series on them in Battlegames for Henry.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

FreddBloggs wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:33 am Mike Sayce did a great series on them in Battlegames for Henry.
......and.......didn't Mick (Subedai on the forum) publish a booklet via Henry's online outlet - can't remember the name but I'm sure there must be a link on his Battlegames page.

Iain
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

grizzlymc wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 am Ah yes, Essex Mongols. In those vast wastes, even the Mongols could not penetrate.
Too right.
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

Thanks chaps I knew Subs had written a book but I didn't know his muggle name. Not on the payhip site yet but it looks like it is planned for rerelease.
Subedai
Fallen Woman

Post by Subedai »

Bit late to the party -story of my life- but I seem to have returned from a lengthy sabbatical in the forum wilderness and one of the first things I find is a request for Mongols. Finally, someone else is taking an interest.
If you are talking 25/28mm, then First Corps are some of the nicest around and in a number of codes as well. Old Glory aren't too bad but a bit spindly and some of their officer poses are a bit awkward. Irregular aren't too bad with separate torso and legs for variety and do mix okay with First Corps on the same table. Although I haven't got any the recently released plastic chaps, they look to be reasonably accurate although everybody in this scale portrays the Mongols with long stirrups for some obscure reason.

Some pics of my chaps.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QlvS4-f-iA4/S ... avalry.JPG
These are the First Corps chaps.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_QlvS4-f-iA4/S ... avalry.JPG
Old Glory in the front with Irregular behind.

If you mean any other sizes I've got pics of all of them except 15mm -been meaning to repaint them for......ever.
MickS
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Fireforge, Gripping Beast (ex Polemarch) and Aventine would be worth a look in 28mm too