Ayton 15th-17th November 2024

For Loose Games & Shows.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Re: Ayton 15th-17th November 2024

Post by Paul »

goat major wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:51 am Circumstances have changed with increased numbers and also the Lodges vague(un)reliability. Seems a very sensible decision Iain
My concern that with me being only a day tripper and the distinct likelihood of Purps not turning up the realistic number is twelve. With the repeated changes it makes it difficult to plan expenses and it is possible that the extra cost of the Hall might be too much for some and lead to a couple of dropouts and then you're back down to ten.......!
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

I couldn't agree more, Paul. I won't be in the least bit surprised if not everyone turns up, although in my experience that would be the case no matter where the event is held. We might even get people turn up who have been quiet up until now - that's happened before.

The decision to choose the Lodge over the hall was taken based on the responses given at the time of asking. The simple fact is that we now have more people saying they'll attend, and more games, than can reasonably be accommodated in the space the Lodge can guarantee to have available. Were I to 'assume' a shortfall in numbers and games and stick with the Lodge, it would be a bit awkward if everyone did actually turn up.

The difficulty for anyone organising anything for this forum, be it an event or a game, is that so many of us don't feel the need to respond to a question or offer an opinion when asked. The 'herding cats' analogy has been often used in this regard and seen as an amusing quirk. I'm afraid that for me the 'ho ho ho' has worn off.

Iain
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Essex Boy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:46 pm The difficulty for anyone organising anything for this forum, be it an event or a game, is that so many of us don't feel the need to respond to a question or offer an opinion when asked. The 'herding cats' analogy has been often used in this regard and seen as an amusing quirk. I'm afraid that for me the 'ho ho ho' has worn off.
Yes it's not an easy ask. I guess the lesson learned is that you shouldn't give people a choice :D Maybe routinely go for Hall in April/May and Lodge (if available) in November in the future and tailor the games to fit the space rather than give free reign (and elastic tables). When November has been held at Framlingham it seemed to be more of "games fitting the space" rather than finding a space to fit the prospective games and that seemed to work fine. First rule of herding cats, don't. Present an opportunity that they can either take or leave and don't stress their decision!
(Despite appearances I suspect that you're too much of a "people pleaser" :D )
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

All good and very sensible advice for future organisers. Do you have any advice for the organised :-D ?

E
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Essex Boy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:11 pm All good and very sensible advice for future organisers. Do you have any advice for the organised :-D ?

E
This is not the place to seek the organised, don't mistake the ability to mimic something as actual skill!
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

:clappy:
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Paul wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:25 pm This is not the place to seek the organised, don't mistake the ability to mimic something as actual skill!
That gets a full five! :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy:
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

If we can't fill up that last LH spot I could bring a small game of something a bit different from the normal for Sunday PM( ish), if at least one other didn't want to Trojan it up obviously!
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Essex Boy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:11 pm I can confirm that the Saturday and Sunday games will take place in the Village Hall.......if Peeler could verify that it would be fab.
I do Testify brother, yeah I do. I mean verify, sorry. Duly booked for the Saturday & Sunday.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

:thumbs: