A SYW game: Lutterberg

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

A SYW game: Lutterberg

Post by ochoin »

Easter Monday looks like becoming an opportunity for a long-awaited SYW game.

I *think* Lutterberg:

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php? ... Lutterberg

I don't want to re-fight something we've already done.
It gives the French an outing & one they might win.
It presents some interesting tactical challenges.

Against this is I have no Allied troops, but I think my Prussians can substitute with out too much grief.

A newbie-gamer will be present & I have an eye on making it a very respectable first gaming experience.

Anyone ever gamed Lutterberg?

donald
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Re: A SYW game: Lutterberg

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

ochoin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:19 am Easter Monday looks like becoming an opportunity for a long-awaited SYW game.

Against this is I have no Allied troops, but I think my Prussians can substitute with out too much grief.

A newbie-gamer will be present & I have an eye on making it a very respectable first gaming experience.

Anyone ever gamed Lutterberg?

donald
No never gamed it.

Its' a couple of weeks until easter, get painting those allies, no sleep plenty of coffee it is doable :) .
Your Prussians would work, your toys your rules.

Go for simple rules use my one page "On the Hoof" set.

Willz.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Excellent! Lutterberg is very high on my 'to-do' list, as it's one of the few occasions where the Wurttemberg Corps appeared. Once I've finished my Hessians, the Saxon Corps (fighting with the French) is going to be next.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Unlike you, Will, with your amazing & inexhaustible appetite for painting more SYW troops, I'm done.
The only thing that would tempt me is if some 1/72 plastic &/or some 20 mm metal manufacturer produced a line of SYW Russians. Both unlikely.

So, even if I wasn't putting in 12 hour days at work (&, sadly, Saturdays & Sundays), I wouldn't paint Allies. However, 2 of my pals have heaps of suitable Prussian allied troops & piles of British waiting a coat of paint. When ( I won't write "if") they ever get done, I'll re-do Lutterberg a bit more accurately.

donald
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

As you all know, creating a game from an historical battle or from your imagination both take some thought & planning.

I've read a bit on Lutterberg & I'm happy to find it a very playable battle. Like many SYW battles, it's far from being a ruthless Napoleonic "winner-take-all" conflict. Indeed, the French, although having a mild desire to destroy or capture the Allied army, will be content to bloody a nose & drive it off. The Allies have no pretensions to destroying Soubise's boys & will deem it a major and glorious victory if they stand for a number of game turns & then high tail it with most of their army intact.

Credit to the French for planning a devastating flank attack but brickbats to them for their usual stately approach that allowed the Allies to move troops to oppose them & really blunt-en any successes.

Of course, being a game partly dependant on luck, who knows exactly how it will end up. Very much looking forward to the Easter Monday game.

donald
Spanner
Gaynor

Post by Spanner »

Don't forget to take your camera, Ochoin. Has replicating the terrain caused any issues? It's not the flattest or most open battlefield in western Germany.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Spanner wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:47 am Has replicating the terrain caused any issues? It's not the flattest or most open battlefield in western Germany.
I haven't gone that far yet. I think I have sufficient bits & bobs to create the escarpment, forest & related streams. Obviously, a simplified layout will be used. I'm thinking about the village itself (Lutterberg) which doesn't seem to have played any role even though it's fairly central. I'll set up the table the day before which usually gives me time to iron out problems.

As written previously, setting up a game is a task. Certainly an enjoyable task but nonetheless you have to put in an effort.

donald
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Looking forward to seeing it! :thumbs:
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I can't believe it's not Lutter.....berg.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.