The Pointy Stick thread

For your Wargames Wittering
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Re: The Pointy Stick thread

Post by Tim Hall »

tim.w wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 am
Tim Hall wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 pm I suppose I'd better come clean and confess that I am building up two armies for pointy sticks, very loosely based around the Battle of Trimsos and the wars of Tony Bath's Hyboria. So they will be sort of Arabish and Late Romanish, with weird and wonderful allies. All figures bought, GB plastic Late Roman infantry in the process of being prepped, a pile of odds and sods sort of painted ancients acquired from EB being unbased ready for tarting up, and I treated myself and got a load of GB plastic:- 24 Arab cav and 40 Arab inf, as well as 20 old Essex metal Late Roman cav painted for me, so feeling a bit smug and wanky about those.

I can't help but envisage an enormous pointy stick campaign/battle at Ayton in our collective futures.
Told you I needed to save those Vikings for something else! :P

Yes you did. With the huge and various selection of plastic Ancients and Dark Ages boxes available an army is quite affordable, The Victrix Vikings and Saxons boxes can make up to 60 figures each.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

The Victrix Vikings are gorgeous but very pricey for plastics. Though if you get 60 in a pack then that makes sense. They have Normans coming soon, as do Gripping Beast.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Rediscovered why pointy stick projects stall, cleaning up skirmishers and then having to add shields and javelins before undercoat!
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

I spent a few hours this week assembling multi part metal Celtic chariots from Foundry that I bought off a certain LAW member at Ayton this year. It’s not a quick job
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I suspect they will take longer to prep than paint, looks at 144 phalangites and shudders.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:19 pm I spent a few hours this week assembling multi part metal Celtic chariots from Foundry that I bought off a certain LAW member at Ayton this year. It’s not a quick job
They're not as time consuming as the Redoubt Trojan Chariots, which i've found need all sorts of supports whilst the glue sets.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

I picked up my pointy general and some velites from Colonel Bills at Leeds, so my Legion is nearly complete, just the small matter of painting it. The figs are Aventines and very nice indeed.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Excellent Tim, now get the brush out !
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Kanban updated for various reasons. not least the addition of Tim H to our pointy tribe

Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Painting javelinmen, undercoated thessalian cavalry and now prepping pikemen, it is all go here!