General Marulaz in White Hussar Uniform?

For your Wargames Wittering
RMD
Jezebel

General Marulaz in White Hussar Uniform?

Post by RMD »

While working on a scenario for the Battle of Neumarkt (1809 Danube Campaign) I was looking for some portraits of the various generals involved and came across some models of the French light cavalry General Jacob Francois Marulaz in a very flashy and unusual hussar uniform (being a white dolman and breeches with red cuffs, chestnut-brown pelisse, black colpack with red bag and white egret & ostrich feather plumes, red & gold barrel-sash, all heavily laced and frogged with gold, plus the crimson sash of the Legion d'Honneur).

There are a few different models of Marulaz wearing this uniform (such as this one: http://www.egminiaturas.com/Disponibles ... rulaz.html ), but I can't find any portraits or text references to it. It also doesn't conform to any regimental dress that I'm aware of.

Now as it happens, I have a spare Murat figure from Sho Boki's excellent pack of Murats that would fit the bill perfectly. I already have enough Murats, so a Marulaz in this uniform would be a nice addition to the collection, but I would like to know some more about this uniform. Does anyone know anything?
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Re: General Marulaz in White Hussar Uniform?

Post by grizzlymc »

I get a red bag in the tropics, if I'm not careful with the zinc oxide powder. No ostrich plumes though; that would be kinky.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

:sick:
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

That outfit would have made fat Herman jealous.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Buff Orpington wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:31 am That outfit would have made fat Herman jealous.
Indeed! I've got the spare Murat figure here, undercoated and ready to go... But I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm that Marulaz actually wore that get-up and it wasn't just made up by a modeller...
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Aha, I've found a direct link to one of the model photos:

grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

The grey should be white, right?
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

grizzlymc wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:10 pm The grey should be white, right?
Yeah, judging by the fact that the egret feathers are the same shade of grey. All the other models of the same subject show it as white. I think the painter was being 'moody' and 'edgy' with his shading... Napoleonique-Noir...
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

The grey uniform is almost identical to that of the 3rd Hussars, except for the brown pelisse. Was he connected with that regiment at all?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:34 pm The grey uniform is almost identical to that of the 3rd Hussars, except for the brown pelisse. Was he connected with that regiment at all?
No, just the 8th Hussars. As mentioned, the 'grey' is over-shaded white (note that the gloves and feathers are the same colour). Every other model shows him as white - that was the only photo I could directly link.