A Potted history of the Electorate of Tiberia

Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

A Potted history of the Electorate of Tiberia

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

I thought I would post a history of Tiberia my "Imagination".
This brief is taken from a post on the Fife and Drum forum from 2017.

A slight misnomer in the name "Electorate of Tiberia with a king at the head" this is all due King Richard the first of Tiberia who is quoted as saying "you can vote anybody in as king as longs as it is me". Thus was created TIBERIA.

Between the lines

People think maps are drawn to show you where places are, however they are drawn to remind us of where places are. If you do not remember where a place is or you do not draw maps of places where you have been, over time these places fade from memory and places seem to disappear. Have you been traveling to some place and taken the left road instead of the right thinking maybe you are taking the wrong turning or ever looked at a fold out map in a book which has folds in the pages. These are called lines, places can disappear in between these lines and folds, why are maps folded in a certain way.

We look at an 18th century map of Europe we see Prussia, Russia, Austria, France, Spain, Tiberia, Duchy of Lorraine. Tiberia? I hear you say, you may not have heard of it but if you look closely along the lines in the folds of the maps between these countries you may see something that your eyes are telling you that there’s nothing there. What has happened is that countries have not been drawn on the map and over time their whereabouts have faded from people’s memories, but look very closely on older maps and you may see the small kingdom of Tiberia (and by no means the only one) nestled between these larger countries.

Tiberia does exist but has faded from memory as people did not visit and forgot to draw it on maps. During the 18th century it was ruled by kings and princes and was known as the electorate of Tiberia its uniform influences are primary of French persuasion, style and custom.

Tiberian real estate

Potted history of Tiberia

The electorate of Tiberia was established in early 10th century from a loose coalition of small cantons. Tiberia was first drawn on the map of Mungi in 961 for Richard the first king of Tiberia, a large map on rich golden cloth was presented to the king who then demand several more maps made. He had planned to give them to the crowned heads of Europe as gifts, unfortunately the fledgling Tiberian cartographers and map making guild went bankrupt after producing just two maps.

This had the effect of putting off any other map makers and destroying the short lived Tiberian tourist industry congress (Tea time Monday 961 until supper Tuesday 961) no maps no tourists.

Having been promised a map of gold from the king of Tiberia the king of France took great offence when one was not forthcoming, thus he declared war on Tiberia. Alas for the French armies they had no map of Tiberia so they could not find it to invade, thus ended the shortest war in history.

These events did not go unnoticed by Gregor Widemark a monk of the Tiberian royal household and part of the college of wise men, who task it, was to protect the interest of this fledgling country (an early intelligence service). Gregor had noted that without maps it was hard to plan and coordinate the invasion of a country, if you wanted to win a war a map was a very useful thing to have. Thus “The Service” was formed a secret society whose job it was to stop the drawing and development of maps of Tiberia and across Europe to make sure Tiberia was not on any map. As we now see “The service” has been very successful in its mission to hide this small country from the outside world and Tiberia has fallen between the line and gaps on maps worldwide (which was Gregors plan all along eminent Tiberian theologians in the know argue). Also working with the royal landscape gardeners roads and path along the Tiberian borders were constantly changed to help hide the country.

Tiberia in 961 was a collection of small dukedoms and principalities constantly fighting each other, king Richard the first had more soldiers and was better in a fight than the rest, so within 20 years he had doubled the size of Tiberian land but was not marked on any map. The success of this was all due to the “The service” who’s monks were based in a clobbers shop in the capital, Within a 100 years Tiberia was a rich nation, still beset with some internal strive but not well visited by other nations. One of its best business investments was “shoes for the crusaders” making a fortune for the Tiberian royal treasury and enabling “The service” to be financially independent of the crown

Over several hundred years there have been numerous wars, campaigns and revolts to name a few.

King Richards war 961 – 989

King Richard II war of conquest 900 -920

War of Robin the thin 1090

War of Robin the fat 1101

The border wars 1130 – 1150

The great uncivil war of the two Robins 1200 – 1222

The butcher the bakers and candle stick makers rebellion 1250 – 1252

The brewers revolt 1301

The shoe makers revolt 1345

The fletchers rebellion 1346, 1356, 1415

The revolting Roberts rebellion 1450

Pie makes insurrections 1510

Hostel and inn keepers revolt 1560

The wars of reunion 1570 – 1601

The wars of the Electorate of Tiberia 1695 - 1710

The great Northern wars of the tanner’s guild 1700 – 1711

The wars of the secession of Tiberia 1730 – 1740

The 2nd wars of the Electorate of Tiberia 1741 – 1766

More wars will come to light as ancient tomes are studied.

The period I will primary cover is from 1695 – 1770 of Tiberia military history.

Action.

Photo's from Chris Gregg

I hope you have enjoyed my first foray into the lost history of Tiberia.

Willz.
Last edited by Willz the Wargamer on Sat May 25, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: A Potted history of the Electorate of Tiberia

Post by FreddBloggs »

You are mad. Welcome.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Excellent! Some nice buildings there as well.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Cheers for your kind comments.
I had put up some photo's, should I put them in an other section?

Willz.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

In the Gallery sub forum there is a war diaries section. I think that was intended for people to chronicle their ImagiNation and other big projects? I can move this there if you want?

Though to be fair people post all over the place here...
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Do I detect a note of censure in the Old Count's voice?
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

I do it to piss him off.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Excellent, Willz.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Count Belisarius wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:14 am In the Gallery sub forum there is a war diaries section. I think that was intended for people to chronicle their ImagiNation and other big projects? I can move this there if you want?

Though to be fair people post all over the place here...
Yes please.
Still finding my feet. :)

Willz.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

To be fair Willz, I have been here since it opened and I did not know about the War Diaries bit either. I blame the site admins, Gaynor and Purps....