20mm WSS

For your Wargames Wittering
tim.w
Jezebel

20mm WSS

Post by tim.w »

Strelets have been releasing some nice boxes of WSS British and French. They just need to do cavalry and artillery.

Question for Andy and Iain, are these compatible with your armies? Can you still buy 20mm WSS? If so where? And (and I hardly dare ask) how have you based yours? Should I get a box or two I'd like them to be compatible with the consensus in case they get used in a bigger game one day.

Not buying obviously. Just tire kicking.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Re: 20mm WSS

Post by Peeler »

Just buy a couple of boxes of each, Tim.

For now.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Tim,

They are compatible with the Les Higgins figures, which make up most of my toys, and I'm hoping to mix some Strelets command types in with them. I also use Irregular bits and bobs - the Strelets chaps will be a little bigger but probably OK if not mixing figures in a unit. Lancer Miniatures do a 20mm LoA which has quite a few interchangeable bits. They should be about the right size as well.

All of the above metals are still available but to be honest, if I were starting out now I'd stick to just the plastic offerings. It looks like being a complete range and there aren't too many break dancing figures in the box. Watch out for one of the French options - the muskets are way too small. And don't worry about nationalities - there weren't enough differences in uniforms to worry about.

Andy and I base our infantry on three, inch and a half square bases. Six figures per base looks good. We're about to have an argument about cavalry basing...........after which Andy will probably not be talking to me.

Happy to send pics etc if it will help.

Iain
garyp
PurpleBot

Post by garyp »

I agree with EB, other than his units are way too small. 24 per unit is the way to go for infantry :) :)
Why us? Cos we're 'ere lad, nobody else.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Uniformwise French for French, Bavarians and Some Spanish, British for everyone else, depending on the grenadier options. (except the Danes, do not go there!)
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the odd sized muskets on the French firing poses. Didn't buy them, went for the much better posed French on the march. Will see how I go. Only one box for now, just to see. I should get two units out of a box easy enough by those numbers. Sorry Gary, I like small (and cheap) units. I hope the cavalry turns up soon, guessing armies are very cavalry heavy at 1 unit to every 2 of infantry?

Photos warmly welcome Iain. Are there any on here already?
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Also, uniform guides? Any recommends?
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Essex Boy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:47 pm Andy and I base our infantry on three, inch and a half square bases. Six figures per base looks good. We're about to have an argument about cavalry basing...........after which Andy will probably not be talking to me.
I've got a load of Newline Hairy Highlanders...…...do you have any views on basing these EB? Same size bases but four or five to a base perhaps?
I intend to get around to painting them at some point within the next decade...maybe less if lockdown continues up here :)
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

tim.w wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:27 pm Also, uniform guides? Any recommends?
Couple of good online sites, or baccus does cds of excellent uniform info, caliver did a great 2 book set as well but I think that is out of print.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

FreddBloggs wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:23 pm Uniformwise French for French, Bavarians and Some Spanish, British for everyone else, depending on the grenadier options. (except the Danes, do not go there!)
Actually, I would recommend British for the Bavarians, as both were unusual in being the only troops to wear gaiters, rather than shoes and stockings, and carry waterbottles.
FreddBloggs wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:19 pm Couple of good online sites, or baccus does cds of excellent uniform info, caliver did a great 2 book set as well but I think that is out of print.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, then the two-book set is by Charles Grant jnr, and I think has been re-printed; then there's the Pike & Shot Society's publications, usually based on Peter Hall's work. Caliver also has, or at least had, some of the Editions Brokaw booklets which are useful little tomes, usually covering two or three nations in each one.
Last edited by BaronVonWreckedoften on Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.