Infamy, infamy

For your Wargames Wittering
valleyboy
Jezebel

Infamy, infamy

Post by valleyboy »

I see TFL are not far off releasing these rules
Now I'm not saying I'm going to take the plunge but a friend is putting on his bathers so to speak
My friend would like to know what you all think about 28 mm Figures - he's thinking about EIR and Gauls/Celts

In the past I've seen Phil Hendry suggest that Aventine are the nicest EIR figures in his opinion and his opinion in this in my view carries a lot of weight and respect. Any other suggestions
What about opposition - essentially Celts/ Gauls - any recommendations?
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: Infamy, infamy

Post by FreddBloggs »

If I was to do this, I would go either...

Small 28mms, wargames foundry not the salah sculpts.

Large scale 28mm, Aventine and victrix celts (simply because I can adapt and carve plastics much better than I can metals, for diversity).
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I have casually considered Victrix plastics for an early Imperial Roman force (they don't do archers yet, though, and are currently faffing about with other periods for their next plastics). No thoughts whatsoever on opposition though; with a gun (or pilum) to my head I might go for Britons, if only because of the potential for punnish names (Quantumechanix, Antibiotix, Nuclearphysix, Biosynthetix and the like). Unfortunately, irregular (looking, as well as acting) armies have never really floated my boat, so I've always stayed away from the "ancient" Ancients period.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

I went for Foundry, very nice figures and a usefully wide range- it includes civvies, plenty of commanders and dead/wounded (very handy for shock markers). Admittedly this was a few years ago and before plastics, but I think they still easily stand up.
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I agree with Melonhead, the Celts especially from Foundry are good. I sold my foundry Romans years ago though.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

I would avoid Victrix at all costs, and I say this from personal experience. Their plastic is terrible, to the point where I have snapped several spears in the painting process alone.

I regret going Warlord and Victrix with my Gauls and Romans and really wish I’d gone for Wargames Foundry.

As you say, Aventine are also gorgeous and they will probably be my choice for my Republic Romans for Infamy!
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

The Aventine Miniatures Republican Romans are very nice. I'm just finishing up my first Legion in my new project, the Punic Wars. Keith's service is first rate, not so Royal Mail Northern Ireland!
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

I haven't had the same experience of poor plastic with Victrix, I am very impressed with their Late Republican Rome box, and I have tons of their Napoleonics, so maybe it was a bad batch Jeremy? I like the Foundry casts but I'm trying to sneak this project in cheaply... And I have a box of hoplites and a box of Carthaginians for when Infamy gets to the Punic Wars.
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Jeremy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:13 pm I would avoid Victrix at all costs, and I say this from personal experience. Their plastic is terrible, to the point where I have snapped several spears in the painting process alone.
I have to say that I hadn't heard that from any other recent purchasers. Which box was this?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

I like Crusader Miniatures, Romans a bit limited though. My Republican Romans are Newline, the More experienced the legionary the better the figure with Newline. I did have some Curteys Caesarians but sold them on, wasnt keen but they were very animated with lots of poses. If I was starting from scratch I'd go Aventine.

Can't comment on Victrix, have been tempted in the past. I do have Warlord's Caesarian platsic and they are really nice! Cheap on ebay too.