Suggestions for a SYW game

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Suggestions for a SYW game

Post by ochoin »

It's about 4 years since our last one. You know I've been working on my Prussians & Austrians over the last months so I'm primed & willing to have a game & at least one of my pals is available for next weekend.

But what game? Not a major battle (or, at least, not the whole thing). The available Prussians outnumber the Austrians (18 batts. of infantry to 10 batts. with commensurate cavalry and artillery) but the Austrians are more powerful in terms of light infantry. Clearly I don't have to use everything but a game with a Prussian superiority in numbers is OK.

Something historical (unless someone has a suitable 'what if' scenario). I thought of First Landshut, Reichenberg or even Hastenbeck, substituting the existing armies for the actual antagonists.

Any suggestions welcome.

donald
Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Suggestions for a SYW game

Post by Etranger »

Don't forget that you can repurpose battles from other wars too. The 1866 Austro-Prussian war might have some suitable battles.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Have the prussians attacking in a mini fountenoy
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

The concentrated Prussian attack on the flank at Leuthen
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

The Prussian retreat from Kolin?
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Quite a good stage to take it from
Attachments
BA420A4D-E8C8-4FE9-A599-3DD6CFF4C149.jpeg
BA420A4D-E8C8-4FE9-A599-3DD6CFF4C149.jpeg (197.73 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Thanks.

I'll look into this (via Kronoskaf).

donald
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Kunersdorf could also be fun Donald if you have enough entrenchments.
I’ve always fancied this with Aust/Rus setting up and choosing where to put there defences and then have the Prussians plan which point to attack.
For historical flavour you can add a random and unexpected terrain features such as the ponds the Prussians suddenly encountered when they made the flank March. ‘Whoops’
Attachments
BA13BDC8-E5B7-4DBA-AD03-F6F19CB42A4E.jpeg
BA13BDC8-E5B7-4DBA-AD03-F6F19CB42A4E.jpeg (223.27 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

No, I think Leuthen will work. I can cut down the numbers to fit my available forces. My idea is to have everything on table when my pal(s) arrive.

The hapless Austrians will get a single cavalry regiment on table to face the right wing Prussian cavalry till Turn 3 (?) when a brigade of Saxon cavalry will arrive from the north (top edge) to re-enforce what's left. I'll probably put Grenz in the forest to the right & the village of Sagschutz.

I think I'll need to work out how many game turns will be needed. Say by Turn 6(??), the Prussians should be at Leuthen to win. That would indicate they got there before Duke Charles sent re-enforcing infantry. A later arrival means they lose this stage of the battle.....which means they'd have a harder time of it for the next part of the battle (which I won't be fighting).

Sound OK?

donald
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

How about Lobositz, with the great mass of Grenzer on the Austrian right flank, contesting the vineyard-covered volcanic hill whose name escapes me...?