Panzer Grey rattle can - any ideas?

For your Wargames Wittering
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Panzer Grey rattle can - any ideas?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Nice examples there, Doug.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Etranger wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:14 pm The collar tabs suggest that they're all OR tunics although a couple of those in the top row look to be fairly senior NCOs
Thankee muchly ET.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Teeny-weeny follow-up question for a bonus point......

.....when did Panzer crews move from the floppy beret to the sidecap?

(I'll want the day, not just the month and year.)
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:03 pm Teeny-weeny follow-up question for a bonus point......

.....when did Panzer crews move from the floppy beret to the sidecap?

(I'll want the day, not just the month and year.)
Probably during or just after the French campaign - much seen in Poland, but a lot less common thereafter. I think that the sidecaps were always an option though.
During the invasion of Poland in 1939, the Schutzmütze proved impractical when worn in conjunction with improved tank communications headsets and so by the winter of 1939-40 became increasingly unpopular; it was phased out over the following two years.

http://beretandboina.blogspot.com/2016/ ... mutze.html
With the creation of the new Panzer arm of the German Army in 1934, a special style of uniform was designed and issued for wear by all ranks. .... The uniform consisted of a short black double-breasted jacket worn with long black trousers and the special protective headdress (Schutzmütze). Designed to offer special protection for the against the hazards of head injury, the unique headdress was comprised of two parts; the inner was a rubber crash helmet and this was fitted with a detachable black wool covering resembling a beret. ...... Whilst used operationally in the invasion of Poland in 1939, the Schutzmütze proved to impractical when worn in conjunction with improved tank communications headsets and so by the winter of 1939-40 became increasingly unpopular. Officers (who purchased their own uniforms) elected to wear a black version of the standard side-cap (Feldmütze), whilst non-commissioned soldiers adopted the standard field grey version, decorated with pink branch of service waffenfarbe braid (see UNI 8901). This practice became universal by the time of the 1940 campaign in the West, and continued to be used much later despite a black version of the Feldmütze being ordered and distributed from March, 1940. Although production of the Schutzmütze was not finally phased out until January of 1941 (it was still used by units equipped by Czech-built PzKpw 38 tanks) the conventional steel helmet was issued for protection to other crews from March 1941 until withdrawn in November 1943.
http://histomil.com/viewtopic.php?t=16091
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Thanks, Huw. Possibly the only WW2 headgear on either side that matched the British GS cap/beret in sheer ugliness.

I have a lot of Warlord early war German tanks that come with Schutzmutze - nice to know I can transfer them to my 35(t) and 38(t) zugs and use the feldmutze-wearing figures in the PzIIIEs and PzIVDs.