The colour palette

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

The colour palette

Post by ochoin »

I'm not that old but when I began figure painting, colours used were bright & vibrant. Notably, my Celtic army was labelled 'The Licorice All-sorts' by one wit.

Now, a sombre influence has crept in. I could literally paint figures from the Bronze Age to the F-P War exclusively using Vallejo's 'Panzer Aces' range. And I'm of course not the only one. This 'age of darkness' is every where in the hobby.

I was watching a doco on 'Callan' where the producer claimed the series lost its arty edginess when it went from B&W to colour. I want to be taken seriously. To be thought of as 'artistic'. Should I turn to painting my miniatures only in a palette using black, white & shades of grey?

donald
Buff Redux
PurpleBot

Re: The colour palette

Post by Buff Redux »

I blame the Grim Darkness of the Future.

Here's an antidote
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

ochoin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:28 am ..... To be thought of as 'artistic'. Should I turn to painting my miniatures only in a palette using black, white & shades of grey?

donald
It's difficult to paint figures well using only shades of gray - occasionally there are articles in the various magazines doing just that 'for effect'.

Here are a couple of links, some purely using 'B & W' techniques.
https://www.wargamingtradecraft.com/201 ... white.html
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=359198

Probably easier to paint normally but photograph using the 'Black and White' or sepia effects in Photoshop etc. Unless that's cheating!
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

If photographing for black & white, use pink and green a lot, as they were the best contrast colours to get greys.

A b&w film set was a surrealist riot of colour.

One of the reasons I am enjoying my nostalgia kick in epic is not using the muddy palette.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

ochoin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:28 am I was watching a doco on 'Callan' where the producer claimed the series lost its arty edginess when it went from B&W to colour.
I thought it was when Callan forced Lonely to have a bath.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

That was just htgeine.

I think pointy sticks people are starting to realise that ignorant peasant subsistence farmers did not dress like a gay pride march. Hoiwever, H&M should be done in brilliant shades. Except union blue pants.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

So although you can get some pretty bright colours from vegetable dyes, the average peasant throughout history *preferred* pig-shit brown?

Interesting....

donald
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I always reckoned most people would be in whitish/cream coloured cloth, or wool of whatever colour the sheep/goat/whatever is for daily life.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Went through the same issue a few years back. I now choose bright colours and then highlight a brighter shade
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

And very smart you look, too, Jeremy, but let's focus on figure-painting for the moment.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.