Everyone's Blog Updates thread reminder

For your Wargames Wittering
Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Everyone's Blog Updates thread reminder

Post by Etranger »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:48 pm Superb, and jealous
Wish I could paint while I worked
Sadly Povodine and Mercurochrome makes for a very limited palatte!

I have been known to do some modelling on quieter nights 'on proximate call'.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

RMD wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03 pm Isn't a Guelph one of those heraldic animals, like Martlets and Talbots?
Definitely two-legged primates, as far as I know. The House of Welf/Guelph links the British throne with those of Hanover, both Brunswicks, and a dispossessed early Medieval line of Dukes of Bavaria (replaced by the Wittelsbachs who ruled until 1918, and whose current head is the last of the Stuarts).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_ ... to_present
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:32 am
RMD wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:03 pm Isn't a Guelph one of those heraldic animals, like Martlets and Talbots?
Definitely two-legged primates, as far as I know. The House of Welf/Guelph links the British throne with those of Hanover, both Brunswicks, and a dispossessed early Medieval line of Dukes of Bavaria (replaced by the Wittelsbachs who ruled until 1918, and whose current head is the last of the Stuarts).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_ ... to_present
I prefer my version. I think it's a heraldic beaver-like animal.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Well, not impossible given the level of inbreeding we're talking about:

Friederich Wilhelm, the Duke of Brunswick killed at Quatre Bras, was a nephew of George III via his father Charles (killed at Jena) who had married George III's older sister, Augusta; both Charles and his wife (and new brother-in-law) were great-grandchildren of George I. George IV later married Fred's sister Caroline, making him Fred's cousin and brother-in-law. Worth pointing out that Fred was Charles' fourth son, the other three being excluded from succeeding to the title Duke of Brunswick by dint of being (1) retarded, (2) extremely retarded, and (3) blind and mildly retarded.

It's people like that who give incest a bad name.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:53 am Well, not impossible given the level of inbreeding we're talking about:

Friederich Wilhelm, the Duke of Brunswick killed at Quatre Bras, was a nephew of George III via his father Charles (killed at Jena) who had married George III's older sister, Augusta; both Charles and his wife (and new brother-in-law) were great-grandchildren of George I. George IV later married Fred's sister Caroline, making him Fred's cousin and brother-in-law. Worth pointing out that Fred was Charles' fourth son, the other three being excluded from succeeding to the title Duke of Brunswick by dint of being (1) retarded, (2) extremely retarded, and (3) blind and mildly retarded.

It's people like that who give incest a bad name.....
It reminds me of that Emo Phillips joke "My mother was like a sister to me... Only we didn't have sex as often."

I also like the famous Wellington quote re Caroline of Brunswick. When his carriage was stopped by a mob demanding that he declare loyalty to her he replied "God save the Queen and may all your wives be like her." :thumbs:
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

:clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy: :clappy:
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
DougM
PurpleBot

Post by DougM »

As they say in Tasmania, never marry a virgin. If she's not good enough for her brothers...
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Nic from Eureka contacted me recently and asked me for pictures of a figure I'd painted a few years ago
This has spawned a new blog post
https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/202 ... f-a-horse/

Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Love that! Absolutely brilliant!
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

I remember that! Outstanding!