What are people buying?

For your Wargames Wittering
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Re: What are people buying?

Post by Paul »

Zenbadger wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:36 pm I bought some Sally 4th Terra-Formers just to see if they are any good. So far OK but I only have one half assembled.
I've looked at those but in the end decided that they didn't really offer anything over using extruded polystyrene as a base, certainly not enough to warrant the added expense.
I'll be interested to hear what you think when you've had firtle with them :)
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

I had some TSS tiles and they were great apart from two things - edge chipping/denting and drifting apart in use. The MDF faces and magnets should stop both of these things. Hopefully.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Zenbadger wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:49 pm I had some TSS tiles and they were great apart from two things - edge chipping/denting and drifting apart in use. The MDF faces and magnets should stop both of these things. Hopefully.
If it's the 2ft ones then they're a different sort of polystyrene (the bead sort) which can be a bit "tender" :D
I've always used the extruded stuff, which is like a solid block and i've lugged tiles all over the country for shows without any damage.
The first set I did had gaffer tape around the edges for protection but i didn't bother with all the others. I have wondered about adding magnets to them though as I was never really happy with 2 inch elastic holding them together :D
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

Found a problem, the terra-formers are 48mm deep and my polystyrene is 50mm deep. I'm just going to glue a 300mm square sheet of 3mm mdf to the top.
DougM
PurpleBot

Post by DougM »

I'm confused as to how that will fix anything..

And tried to buy the Ratnik 18th century civilians yesterday. Out of Stock already!
DougM
PurpleBot

Post by DougM »

Oh, and my old id as Shahbahraz somehow got nuked. Phone access only. Doh!
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

DougM wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:54 am Oh, and my old id as Shahbahraz somehow got nuked. Phone access only. Doh!
Old account still there and seems OK. Want me to reset the password?
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Zenbadger wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:30 am Found a problem, the terra-formers are 48mm deep and my polystyrene is 50mm deep. I'm just going to glue a 300mm square sheet of 3mm mdf to the top.
Does that mean you are basically making an open bottomed box that you're going to build on top of?
That seems a shame as the strength of the system is the ready profiled edges for hills, rivers etc...IMHO

The other option would be to use a hot wire tool to cut your polystyrene flush with the MDF?
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

Yeah, but I am struggling to get polystyrene in usable quantities as 2m sheets are a bit of a pain to cycle 10+ miles with and the cheapest delivery was a minimum order of £50. Right now I am thinking of open mdf framework and plaster bandage like I have used on my model railway. I can get that from my local art shop.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Zenbadger wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:15 pm I am struggling to get polystyrene in usable quantities as 2m sheets are a bit of a pain to cycle 10+ miles with
These, might be of some use?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201604023608 ... XQ0pNRsHAy