The Pointy Stick thread

For your Wargames Wittering
tim.w
Jezebel

Re: The Pointy Stick thread

Post by tim.w »

Does no one here do Saga? Other than the holidays?

It's huge at the club, almost everyone was playing it last night. I am nearing completion of 4 points of Late Saxons, will add some more archers from my other projects and a few more Theigns from Victrix sprues to make up to 6. Have Vikings in the paint que too.

The rules are a bit odd and I'm taking some time learning them, shadowing a game last night helped but I'm still not sure about the battleboards and how to use them. People seem to like it. Going to play through the rules solo hopefully soon and get a better feel for them.
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

Armies of Antiquity was the "Get you by" set of lists before they found people to write all the other lists.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

tim.w wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 pm Does no one here do Saga? Other than the holidays?

It's huge at the club, almost everyone was playing it last night. I am nearing completion of 4 points of Late Saxons, will add some more archers from my other projects and a few more Theigns from Victrix sprues to make up to 6. Have Vikings in the paint que too.

The rules are a bit odd and I'm taking some time learning them, shadowing a game last night helped but I'm still not sure about the battleboards and how to use them. People seem to like it. Going to play through the rules solo hopefully soon and get a better feel for them.
Played 1st Ed, not played the new one. Struck me as a resource management game where pushing figures sound the table was secondary
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

tim.w wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 pm Does no one here do Saga? Other than the holidays?

I will be doing Saga, just as soon as I've taken possession of Andy's Rules and Supplements.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

I've got and played 1st Ed Saga. It is an ok game but probably not up to the hype it had shortly after launch.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Essex Boy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:15 pm

I will be doing Saga, just as soon as I've taken possession of Andy's Rules and Supplements.
So andy will be doing saga in about a years time.... at a profit.

I have the fantasy supplement, but not played it yet.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Sad, but probably true.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Clearly he needs a Hannibal Lecture.

I'll get me coat....oh, wait, someone's already put it out in the gutter for me.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Jeremy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:38 pm It gives you the core army lists for all the armies if antiquity. The Hannibal book gives scenarios
Clearly he needs a Hannibal Lecture.

I'll get me coat....oh, wait, someone's already put it out in the gutter for me.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

6 points of Normans prepped, undercoated, and dry-based (ie no terrain); one or two figures chain-mailed. And an all-female later Irish army awaiting my attention. If you didn't play v.1, then you should find it a bit easier to pick up, as it's the changes to the rules that are tending to trip people up at our club. The various factions are much closer to parity now than they were, so you tend to get much closer games (with v.1, you tended to find tournaments being won by two or three of the several dozen armies available).