Periods you always wanted to do.....

For your Wargames Wittering
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: Periods you always wanted to do.....

Post by Essex Boy »

Count Belisarius wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:36 pm Great Northern War....
:wall:
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Just waiting to pick up some 15mm/18mm at a super bargain price...
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Any of you folk drawn to the 'Cruel Seas' system? I'm very tempted (in spite of various issues people have with the rules) but have managed to fight off the urge to spend big on the period.
donald
Vintage Wargaming
PurpleBot

Post by Vintage Wargaming »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 am VW - When you say you have some, are we talking 20mm Tumbling Dice Crimeans?
Yup. Somewhere.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

ochoin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am Any of you folk drawn to the 'Cruel Seas' system? I'm very tempted (in spite of various issues people have with the rules) but have managed to fight off the urge to spend big on the period.
donald
Yes, although despite my best intentions they're still sitting in boxes. The starter pack will give plenty of experience without too much expense & there are alternatives to the Warlord models. (eg Heroics & Ros & Scotia both have 1/300 ranges) or go to 1/600 where there are a wide number of options. If the rules aren't to your taste then David Manley has recently released a new version of his rules. (you might recall David from TWW - he's a splendid chap). If you 'do' Facebook, there's a good group here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/286537142167028/

"Real' coastal forces rarely got beyond a handful of boats per side anyway, some of the photos around show battles with dozens a side, which was fairly unusual.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

If I was doing it, I think I'd do 1:600 and David Manley's rules.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

tim.w wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 pm Wait no, EB will say these aren't proper 20mm.
Actually, TD's 1/72 figures are roughly the same size as SHQ's (i.e. Kennington's) 20mm offerings. TD make some lovely little figures......and some horrible ones. The Crimea range is small but perfectly formed.

Tradition do Crimea/greatcoats......

https://www.traditionoflondonshop.com/2 ... _1854-1856

E
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Essex Boy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:16 pm
tim.w wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:54 pm Wait no, EB will say these aren't proper 20mm.
Tradition do Crimea/greatcoats......

https://www.traditionoflondonshop.com/2 ... _1854-1856

E
Stoppit. Not helping the wife just bought me more 17th lancers.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Helping you not to buy stuff?

Wrong forum mate, you need pmt for that. Would put anyone off wargaming.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

ochoin wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:55 am Any of you folk drawn to the 'Cruel Seas' system? I'm very tempted (in spite of various issues people have with the rules) but have managed to fight off the urge to spend big on the period.
donald
I've gone with 1/600 - mostly the old Skytrex range and some PT Dockyard stuff from the US - and using Coastal Patrol, a set of rules from one of the Too Fat Lardies' specials (I think Summer 2011, but I can check if you want), but if they don't appeal then anything by David Manley is pretty much guaranteed to be top-notch. Once Etranger has opened Pandora's box, I'd be keen to know what he makes of the 1/300 models, as they strike me as workable for 2-3 boats per side games, whereas if you want anything larger than an MTB/MGB or E-Boat on the table, you really need to drop down to 1/600.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.