ECW: something different

For Loose Games & Shows.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Re: ECW: something different

Post by grizzlymc »

Magnificent, as always. Is objective No 4 a giant tea cake?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

grizzlymc wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:06 am Magnificent, as always. Is objective No 4 a giant tea cake?
Ha! More like a Black Bun.

A Black Hoose, of course. My dad claimed Grand Dad grew up in one.
But the dear man was prone to exaggerate. Porridge, according to him, was boiled up on the Monday, the excess poured into the kitchen drawer & on subsequent mornings, you cut a slice & melted it back into a liquid with the fresh warm coo's milk.

On your birthday, you got a spoon of jam with it.

donald
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Yes, the romanticism of the highlands. My grandad left Glasgow in the first years of the century. He never returned.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

grizzlymc wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:50 am Yes, the romanticism of the highlands. My grandad left Glasgow in the first years of the century. He never returned.
You a Keelie? I knew I liked you. Quality will out.

donald
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Grandpa used to describe a life which would have NGOs hold breathless teary press conferences were it to take place in a third world country today. When his youngest brother finished school, he got on a ship to India to make his fortune. He wound up on the Rangoon waterfront with a steamer trunk and five shillings. Even after the Burmese kicked him out in '65, he never went North of Bristol again.

You can imagine my surprise when in 2002 I went to Glasgow to find that the Gorbals was all up market lofts and the streets were full of cafes, resembling nothing so much as Adelaide on a wet day. When I hopped in the cab at the airport, I had to look twice at the cabbie to be sure it wasn't the ghost of my grandpa.

It was comforting to see the Glasgow public library, where he had pursued his education, was still in operation a century later.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

grizzlymc wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:28 am
You can imagine my surprise when in 2002 I went to Glasgow to find that the Gorbals was all up market lofts and the streets were full of cafes, resembling nothing so much as Adelaide on a wet day. When I hopped in the cab at the airport, I had to look twice at the cabbie to be sure it wasn't the ghost of my grandpa.
Plenty of Glaswegians in Adelaide, including one of my work colleagues.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

But no history of dark satanic mills, or shipyards.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

After a lifetime in OZ, I am only very nominally a Glaswegian but the place always feels like home. And it's certainly improved in the last few years: not just the slums but the centre bombed by the Germans & rebuilt in "Modern Ugly".
It's probably why I also like the Covenanters: miserable bunch of gits & nasty bigots...but they're my gits & bigots.

donald
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

Glasgow was always a place of many villages. I worked in Govan, Castlemilk and Haghill, lived in Shawlands, Maryhill and Woodlands about 30 years ago. More recently I was working at Atlantic Quay.

Interesting place. Nothing like Adelaide. Redgum were right, city of churches and serial killers, founded by religious zealots. Humour and fun are not in character.
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

grizzlymc wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:24 am But no history of dark satanic mills, or shipyards.
Plenty of shipyards in SA, or were. All those Clydebank welders ended up in Whyalla.