The "F" word.

For Loose Games & Shows.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: The "F" word.

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

The employment of Vikings also allows you to utter the word "Krisstmanbogga", which means to sodomise a monk with his own wooden* crucifix,

(* Other materials are available. )
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

How handy, I shall save that for the opportune time.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Paul wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:49 am will know that collective delusion and a compulsion to see or feel something often trumps what is actually happening.
I believe that's particularly true in the US.....
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

My only thought around all this is that these kinds of characters work well in a small skirmish. In a battle where thousands are involved, not so much.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Another great use they have in Dux is pre-battle ceremonies. Reading the omens etc. There is of course a chance it backfires
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Just while we're on the subject, any opinions of war dogs?

I guess I might be overly influenced by Bernard Cornwell's trilogy as I don't think its historical.

donald
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

ochoin wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:47 pm Just while we're on the subject, any opinions of war dogs?
In your period probably a no :)
Good hunting dogs were widely prised and unlikely to be risked in combat situations. Dog collars have been found in very rich graves such as the Tara one in Ireland, where the silver collars, at least are thought to be evidence of continental trade and politics.
The archaeological record for the period has very few dogs of a stature that would make good 'War dogs'. The usual sizes goes from terrierish to about Border collie size. (I did an extensive research study on the genetics and genetic 'families' of dogs in Late Roman and Post Roman Britain during my Post-grad).
I'm also struggling to think of any contemporary documents describing the use of dogs in warfare during the period but I guess as a semi fantasy element it wouldn't be too outrageous a leap.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

It depends how much realism you want in your game. I’m considering Irish and would definitely have some. Just because I think they look good and could be a lot of fun
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

20mm? >SHRUG< Size becomes relative, doesn't it? Get some of Copplestones superlative 15mm hyborian-style picts as stunted, primitive barrow-people.
Use a 28mm orc as an ogre.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Jeremy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:44 pm It depends how much realism you want in your game. I’m considering Irish and would definitely have some. Just because I think they look good and could be a lot of fun
During the development of "Infamy x2", Big Rich did say there was virtually no evidence for war dogs among the Gauls (including Britons) or Romans and deliberately did not include rules for them. With a SAGA Irish army (still in the wrappers) in my possession, I must confess to also having a houndmaster and bunch of dogs, although Dark Ages - or Very Early Mediaeval, if you prefer - might be a little bit different from Late Rep/Early Imp Rome.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.