The "F" word.

For Loose Games & Shows.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Re: The "F" word.

Post by Jeremy »

I’m fairly sure there is no historical basis for them in the Irish, but it’s unlikely I’ll let that stop me.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Apparently they were used to drag men from horses (I'm guessing this was pre-stirrups), it was their Scottish cousins that were considered too placid to be used as fighting dogs. This outlasted their disappearance from the "order of battle" of other Celtic/Gaulish tribes on the Continent.

https://www.historyireland.com/uncatego ... y-irish-2/
Last edited by BaronVonWreckedoften on Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

I also have them for my Britons and will happily use them.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Jeremy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:44 pm It depends how much realism you want in your game. I’m considering Irish and would definitely have some. Just because I think they look good and could be a lot of fun
Yup, like I said in a semi fantasy setting, why not! All wargaming, especially that of periods prior to the renaissance, is essentially semi fantasy and that's what makes it fun. None of us would like to recreate real war and if we tried it would mostly likely be incredibly depressing :(
Jeremy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:30 pm I’m fairly sure there is no historical basis for them in the Irish, but it’s unlikely I’ll let that stop me.
The Irish is one where there is some evidence, at least for large hunting dogs within high status households. :)
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

In our dim & distant past, we've played some medieval ish games with some genteel 'magic', whores who attract the troops away thus causing a hit on a unit, sorcerers who lower or raise morale, or make units halt for no particular reason, etc. I'd say it should be a bit limited though, otherwise it just gets a bit daft.

And, I've read that profanity can be a sign of intelligence. I don't think that's the case for everyone I've met, but I think it f***ing well is for me.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

I assume that you're after fantasy figures such as orcs etc, rather than just repurposed historical figures such as vikings, barbarians etc? Caesar do (or did as they look to be OOP) some .

Quite a few available, at least in theory https://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=SEC&p=3
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Damn, I thought the Dark Alliance Wargs might make possible war dogs but they're a bit OOT.

I'm going back to Le Morte d'Arthur to check out the supernatural elements & see what might be appropriate.

....and thanks for the advice. I'm not about to take this to a Fantasy extreme: it's just a toe dip into the water (or perhaps lake?) of fantasy gaming.

donald
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Peeler wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 am In our dim & distant past, we've played some medieval ish games with some genteel 'magic', whores who attract the troops away thus causing a hit on a unit, sorcerers who lower or raise morale, or make units halt for no particular reason.
That just sounds like a night out in Ayton... Apart from the genteel bit...
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

Indeed, in one "Arthurian" book I read the druids used a Skull Fence to create a form of barrier that the enemy wouldn't cross until their own druids defiled it. It wasn't a solid barrier, just a few posts with skulls on. The boundary rope at the Ayton cricket ground works on the same principle.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Buff Orpington wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:15 am The boundary rope at the Ayton cricket ground works on the same principle.
To be fair, a pitch invasion at Ayton CC is either (a) the local drunk/village idiot tripping over the rope whilst trying to skip, or (b) a local chavette cutting across the playing area with her pram in order to get all the shop-lifted goods home before she's rumbled (or they de-frost).
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.