Dark Ages Teasers

For Loose Games & Shows.
ochoin
Gaynor

Re: Dark Ages Teasers

Post by ochoin »

Essex Boy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:59 am

Great question. I wonder what the correct answer is.

Iain

Q16. Which of these statements best demonstrates Australian values about freedom of expression?
a. Everyone can peacefully express their opinions within the law
b. People with different views from me need to keep quiet
c. Only approved topics can be discussed

I'm assuming b. would be incorrect but surely they're excluding future PMs, most wives and parking inspectors if they reject anyone answering b.

donald
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

ochoin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:17 am

OZ has ridiculously high standards but I'm sure you'd qualify.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizen ... e-test-new

donald

I should point out that standards were lower when we came out. I believe they asked Dad only one question: "Do you want to come to Australia?" And even then, they ignored Mum's strident, "NO!!"

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Peeler wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:15 pm
Essex Boy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:19 am .... we were also treated to the mindless blithering from the north.
I was about to object that om from the North and I hadn't said anything, til I checked and realised that I had. So I won't say anything about this comment.
You'd like this question, Mr P.

18) In Australia, can you encourage violence against a person or group of people if you have been insulted?
a. Yes, if you do not intend to carry out the violence
b. No, it is against Australian values and the law
c. Sometimes, if I feel very offended
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

Yay! I got 90. Break out the Fosters and the Paul Hogan reruns.
Wg Cdr Luddite
PurpleBot

Post by Wg Cdr Luddite »

Bloody hell I scored 100%. Does that mean I get an automatic Aussie passport?
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Essex Boy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:24 pm You'd like this question, Mr P.
18) In Australia, can you encourage violence against a person or group of people if you have been insulted?
a. Yes.
:evilgrin:
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I got the distinct impression that there was one set of answers for those wishing to become citizens, and a completely different set for those who had qualified by birth.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Haven't both groups of people been through birth?
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

ochoin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:34 pm
Q16. Which of these statements best demonstrates Australian values about freedom of expression?
a. Everyone can peacefully express their opinions within the law
b. People with different views from me need to keep quiet
c. Only approved topics can be discussed

I'm assuming b. would be incorrect but surely they're excluding future PMs, most wives and parking inspectors if they reject anyone answering b.

donald
"Now is not the time to talk about this" seems to be a common trope amongst politicians recently - so that's a combination of b & c.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:40 pm I got the distinct impression that there was one set of answers for those wishing to become citizens, and a completely different set for those who had qualified by birth.
That's because too many of the locals wouldn't pass. At least they stopped the 'European languages' test where one had to write out a spoken paragraph written in 'any language', and chosen by immigration. Gaelic was apparently a popular choice.
The Strathaird arrived in Sydney Harbour on 16 November 1934. The Federal Government now attempted to exclude Kisch using the Immigration Restriction Act. The Act as amended in 1905 provided that "any person who (...) when an officer dictates to him not less than fifty words in any prescribed language, fails to write them out in that language in the presence of the officer" would not be admitted.[3]

This was primarily intended, and used, as a means to exclude non-whites from entering Australia under the White Australia Policy, but it could be, and occasionally was, used to exclude other undesirables. Kisch demonstrated his fluency in a number of European languages, and he was then asked to write the Lord's Prayer in Scottish Gaelic. He refused to participate and was deemed to have failed the test. He was then taken into custody, this time by the New South Wales police, who released him on AU£200 bail.

The dictation test was also used to exclude another anti-war activist who had been invited to speak. Irishman (and therefore British subject) Gerald Griffin, had been given a dictation test in Dutch, which he had failed as he was meant to do. In his memoir Australian Landfall, Kisch records with gusto how Griffin then entered Australia under a false name and led the authorities a merry dance as he popped up unannounced to speak at meeting after meeting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted ... _Australia