Ayton 2020 - Sunday 18th Century Game

For Loose Games & Shows.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Re: Ayton 2020 - Sunday 18th Century Game

Post by Paul »

Purple wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:36 pm Not to be Confused with ‘Wank & Smile’
Which is a decidedly different product but does still come in at £10
I thought that was the name of the drive through brothel in Nottingham?
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

Paul wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pm
Purple wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:36 pm Not to be Confused with ‘Wank & Smile’
Which is a decidedly different product but does still come in at £10
I thought that was the name of the drive through brothel in Nottingham?
No that’s Crank & Chyle
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

It's probably about time to ask you lot for a rough idea of what you intend to bring along to the game. It's still a bit early for precise numbers and a best guess will suffice.

Here are a few things to consider........

1) The setting is mid 18th century Europe.

It was suggested at the weekend that I'm far too anal about troop types. So, although it hurts me to say it, a broad interpretation of European 'type' troops can be assumed - probably. If in doubt, you could risk asking me for an opinion on suitability, but don't even think about elephants, camels, steam powered tanks or balloons..........

2) Skirmishers, open order and light troops.

These aren't particularly deadly and are very brittle. Just saying in case anyone opts for a high percentage of such troops.

3) Artillery.

Field artillery: One model is a battery. It won't be the beast that it sometimes has been but you should try not to have a disproportionate amount. One gun model per four other foot units should be about right.
Battalion guns: No decision has been made but I think they will shoot like a base of muskets but with a slightly longer range. Whatever we decide, they will be very brittle.

4) General Leaders, Brigadier Leaders and ADC Leaders.

Leaders will play a key role in the game. It would help enormously if you have foot or combined arms brigades of four units (including batteries) and cavalry brigades of three units. For each such 'full' brigades you would have a Brigadier Leader figure. Don't worry if you can't make up a full brigade - smaller brigades will still need a Leader figure but he will be an ADC Leader.
If you have three or more full brigades you will need a General Leader figure. Spare ADC Leaders will be helpful as these may well be part of the rewards 'package' for successes in the Saturday games.

So, can you let me know before Christmas what you think you will be bringing, or would like to bring - by PM is probably best. Gary, given the size of your collection shall we have a chat about what you can bring once we have a better idea of the troops available?

Iain
Last edited by Essex Boy on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

If you were "to anal" (sic) you'd have spelt "too" correctly. So I have to assume that you're not.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Paul wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:46 pm If you were "to anal" (sic) you'd have spelt "too" correctly. So I have to assume that you're not.
Corrected. Much obliged.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Assuming we're using 28mm stuff, mine is all AWI, including whatever I'm bringing for Simon's game on the Saturday. So if you don't want any future dwellers coming back and killing whoever the mid-18th Century version of Sarah Connor is, I'm happy to borrow from any of the larger collections (if that's ok with the owners and you).

A small(ish) force, but plenty of cavalry, would be nice.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

EB, to confirm, light units will be part of the brigades, so three line and one light for instance?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:27 pm Assuming we're using 28mm stuff, mine is all AWI, including whatever I'm bringing for Simon's game on the Saturday. So if you don't want any future dwellers coming back and killing whoever the mid-18th Century version of Sarah Connor is, I'm happy to borrow from any of the larger collections (if that's ok with the owners and you).

A small(ish) force, but plenty of cavalry, would be nice.
AWI is European enough, Brendan, and I'm sure you must be able to form them up to look like proper line infantry?

Iain
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Jeremy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:07 am EB, to confirm, light units will be part of the brigades, so three line and one light for instance?
Thank you.

I should be clear that it isn't my intention to stipulate how many units a brigade contains. Rather, I'm trying to settle on a method for establishing how many Leaders, and of what type, a force should have.

It may help if I explain now that your Leaders, of any type, will only exert any influence over a unit to which they are attached. You will appreciate that a Leader with three or four units under his command is going to have his work cut out once they get into the thick of it. There's no sharing of commands, although Generals as Leaders can take up some slack, and you may be rewarded with extra 'wild card' ADCs

So in answer to Jezza's question, organisation is up to you but three line battalions and one light, i.e. four units in total, will be fine. You may want to add a gun to that and I would suggest that five units would be at the 'very busy' end of the scale for a Brigadier Leader.

Iain
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Have you determined which of the period specific (or other homegrown) rules we'll be using with 'Rank and Vile'?