Modelling a Roman watchtower

For your gaming pictures & links.
ochoin
Gaynor

Modelling a Roman watchtower

Post by ochoin »

I've had an mdf Roman watchtower for some time & have finally got around to assembling & painting it:

What I next want to do is create an earthen rampant around it, topped by a palisade...

like this but with a higher, earthen wall:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.c ... watchtower

As you can see from the first photo, I have some polystyrene pieces...I want something robust for wargaming. Is this the best material? What would I coat it in? I've used plaster in the past. It cracks, chips & breaks off.

Any hints would be welcome.

donald
Etranger
Jezebel

Re: Modelling a Roman watchtower

Post by Etranger »

Das modelling clay or similar is an alternative, but you might have thecsame problem.

If you use plaster consider adding some PVA glue to the mix. It gives improved adhesion (d'oh) and a bit more flexibility so cracking and chipping is less of an issue. I'd also add some "ground" coloured paint to the wet mix so that if it does chip, it isn't a glaring white colour.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Use the Styrofoam for the bulk and slop acrylic caulk on top of it, that should do. You can even push your palisade in whilst it's wet.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

I’ve used Das successfully in the past and then coated with glue and sand and then painted.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Finished mine a few months back. Warbases Limes Tower and their palisade. I considered putting mine on an earthen mound, but decided I didn’t need to

ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

That's very nice, Jeremy.

What did you use for the palisade? I was thinking of skewers but this looks much better.

donald
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Ta. It’s the one from Warbases with some polyfilla slapped on and the planks carved out