Next Anglo Danish Unit (Mixture) Further Ranks

For your gaming pictures & links.
Atheling_2006
Hasty Harlot

Next Anglo Danish Unit (Mixture) Further Ranks

Post by Atheling_2006 »

Another set of eight Anglo Danish Huscarls and Fyrd complete for the fourth unit. Three more units to and 12 bases of skirmishers to go but they will be on hold for a while as I am going to be digging back into my Early Byzantines. It has been roughly eight days since they received a coat of gloss varnish and a couple since the first matt varnish layer was added. As is so easily done when spraying a matt varnish over that of a gloss it is easy to miss bits (which of course I did!) so had to wait another day to apply another coat. After a week of waiting to get them finished an extra day is a trifle really.

There is a good mix of miniatures ranging from (very) OOP Gripping Beast Patten brothers), more contemporary Gripping Beast Colin Patten and Soapy), Footsore Miniatures (Bill), Saxon Miniatures (Colin Patten) and finally Drabant. If any of the miniatures prior to painting seem like they are just not going to fit it was the Drabant miniatures. They have much larger proportions then the rest. I think the painting process provides some sort of homogeneity which binds the miniatures into a whole creating e believable unit.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a couple of images that show how the miniatures fit together on the 40mm x 40mm bases. I chose to go with the smaller size bases as opposed to my normal 40mm frontage and 50-60mm depth as I was looking to create that hunched together in a Shieldwall look. not unlike some of the sections of the Bayeux Tapestry.

I used to use superglue for this job but have been a grateful convert to being more patient and using PVA so I can better adjust any miniatures which look out of kilter with the rest of the unit.

Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Re: Next Anglo Danish Unit (Mixture) Further Ranks

Post by Count Belisarius »

They are really nice. Again. Love seeing these.
Atheling_2006
Hasty Harlot

Post by Atheling_2006 »

Cheers mate. Got the last eight halfway done but it's X-mas and all that so it might be a few days :moredrink:
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

For feck's sake. I paint the back of shields brown, that's if I paint them at all.

Well done Atheling.

E
Atheling_2006
Hasty Harlot

Post by Atheling_2006 »

Essex Boy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 pm For feck's sake. I paint the back of shields brown, that's if I paint them at all.

Well done Atheling.

E
I do that too if I can't be bothered :)
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Love those, very dynamic :thumbs:
Atheling_2006
Hasty Harlot

Post by Atheling_2006 »

valleyboy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:35 pm Love those, very dynamic :thumbs:
Thanks Valleyboy, Merry Xmas too! :moredrink:
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

More brilliant brushwork.

The gnomish guy poking his spear out from behind his shield (far left, third rank in the group shot), looks a particularly evil little shit. Reminds me of a short obnoxious bloke I used to play rugby against - always started fights then disappeared and left everyone else to get on with it.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Atheling_2006
Hasty Harlot

Post by Atheling_2006 »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:42 am More brilliant brushwork.
Cheers mate :)
BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:42 am The gnomish guy poking his spear out from behind his shield (far left, third rank in the group shot), looks a particularly evil little shit. Reminds me of a short obnoxious bloke I used to play rugby against - always started fights then disappeared and left everyone else to get on with it.
We all know someone like that...... the mini was originally sculpted in Milliput(!) and is a very out of production Gripping Beast mini. I had Darren run me off a load from the old moulds when I was attending either one of the old Hot Lead or Cold Steel WAB events. I used to paint for them so he couldn't really say no :twisted:
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Atheling_2006 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:06 pm We all know someone like that......
Probably the same someone! :evilgrin:
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.