Tales from Pendawar

For your gaming pictures & links.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: Tales from Pendawar

Post by FreddBloggs »

Ooooh, did not know that.

No, bollocks my fault, of course union was 1801.

I do apologise.

Nice figures.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

FreddBloggs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:02 pm
No, bollocks my fault, of course union was 1801.

I do apologise.
:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: To be fair I couldn't have told you when it was added to the British Flag, but I did know for the EIC flag...sometimes you are shown something which makes you realise how "niche" your knowledge is :D
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I mixed it up with the 1707 union.

Too much knowledge can be as bad as too little.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Paul wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm To be fair I couldn't have told you when it was added to the British Flag, but I did know for the EIC flag...sometimes you are shown something which makes you realise how "niche" your knowledge is :D
It would be interesting to know when it was added to British regimental flags - eg were "amended" colours carried in Egypt in 1801, since many of the regiments would have left Great Britain and Ireland prior to the date of official unification? Unless there was some prior notification, one would assume that there was a (considerable?) delay in the St Patrick's saltire being added to flags outside of the European theatre.

(BTW, I completely failed to notice it when discussing American variants - of course it would not have been on theirs.)
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I do not know for the 1801 changeover, I know in 1707 they paraded the old and received the new withon a space of a week for the whole army. But most of it was in flanders at the time so relatively easy to do that and the garrisons on a set date.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:54 pm (BTW, I completely failed to notice it when discussing American variants - of course it would not have been on theirs.)
Mainly as the British flag element of the USA flag had disappeared by 1801. :evilgrin:
(I think!)
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

When I get around to my one HM Regular Battalion I plan to give them the pre 1801 version of colours as they will have been out in India a good while...
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Clear from their yellow skin and gaunt appearance?
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

FreddBloggs wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:15 pm I do not know for the 1801 changeover, I know in 1707 they paraded the old and received the new withon a space of a week for the whole army. But most of it was in flanders at the time so relatively easy to do that and the garrisons on a set date.
I think I recall reading some of the Scottish regiments held on to the saltire flags and flew the two concurrently until being told to use the Union flag only. (Can anyone else confirm this?)
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Didn't happen in the low countries. Because the colonels threatened too, but had it mentioned that they would then only be paid at the scottish establishment rate, which was lower. The officers did not care, the rank and file let the issue be known as a problem.