HMS Priapus' Flying Bridge

For your gaming pictures & links.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Re: HMS Priapus' Flying Bridge

Post by levied troop »

Your progress on these is most impressive.
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

grizzlymc wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:00 pm The effect is gorgeous, but why is his left arm red?
I believe that either the coat colour, or the facings, were officially described as "lis-de-vin" (lit. wine dregs).
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

There are a couple variants put forth for the 13th's uniforms. One with blue coats and nearly lilac or raspberry facings, and the other was medium/darkish brown with dark red facings. Consensus I read seemed to be more in favor of the latter, so that's what I've gone for, though I've brightened the colors a bit.

More of them later, in the meantime - here's my 'training wheels' stand of CSA infantry, just beards, barrels, and buttons left to go before basing. Again trying out CP for this, as I'd like to make quick work of this project too. A bit of learning curve again, as the properties of the different tones vary somewhat by intensity and viscosity. Takes a bit of blending to get decent colors for the coat and pants, but goes quickly and I expect my next stands will be somewhat better.

Last edited by HMS Priapus on Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

Somewhat better? I reckon they look excellent. Although I do basing before painting.
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

Thanks Shahbahraz. What I'm aiming for is like the result below. Finally achieved after a long learning curve. Have yet to go through and highlight flesh or paint the metals, but no coffee staining or unexpected lines of over-done contrast. But finally...

Compare with the guys I posted last and you'll see what I mean. Tho I won't say that I'm unhappy with them, as they're coming together just fine...

BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Shaping up to be most impressive.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

Well, colour me impressed. I think they look terrific. Of course, the perfectionist in me wants to add highlights on the yellow and the gauntlets, but that really does look rather good. Typically I would block paint, wash with inks then low highlight with the original colour and highlight again, so this looks like taking out two steps, which is a big saving in time and effort.
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

I like the Uhlan, particularly the face
Who makes it?
How do do paint flesh with this new fangled system then HP?
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

Thanks, gentlemen.

VB - The Uhlan is a WL plastic from the box set -- come with both lancer and Polish head options.

For the flesh I use a base of the CP (top picture fo the two) and then layer as desired with the Foundry triad. Gulliman flesh with a little each of Spacewolves Grey and Orange makes a nice deep base to work over.
valleyboy wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:28 pm I like the Uhlan, particularly the face
Who makes it?
How do do paint flesh with this new fangled system then HP?
HMS Priapus
PurpleBot

Post by HMS Priapus »

A DP in progress. I'm going to keep the tree removable for storage as well as to be able to have the option to use different trees for different campaign locations. All Perry sculpts.

Some French command -