Wanted Old School Ancients

For trading your quality goods
tim.w
Jezebel

Wanted Old School Ancients

Post by tim.w »

Greeks/Persians/Assyrians anything of the late Biblical or Classic periods (think Hyborian)Hinchliffe/Lamming and all those types.

Also less necessarily old school but on the lookout for early medieval, Byzantine and such.

If you've anything going spare let me know.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: Wanted Old School Ancients

Post by Essex Boy »

tim.w wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:48 pm Greeks/Persians/Assyrians anything of the late Biblical or Classic periods (think Hyborian)Hinchliffe/Lamming and all those types.

Also less necessarily old school but on the lookout for early medieval, Byzantine and such.

If you've anything going spare let me know.
I've just bought a load of Lamming Greek hoplites from ERM (Tony has all the Lamming moulds). These are rather expensive because heads, shields and weapons are all extra to the price of the figure (up to £2 per complete foot figure!). But they are lovely. I got a right result on a load of Lamming Imperial Romans from Hinds.

Anyway, what I'm leading up to is that I bought a load of S Range Minifigs cavalry to go with the Lammings. I should have asked Clive's advice, because they don't match for size....S Range being much smaller.

Soooooo, be careful what you buy.......if you care about compatibility, that is.

Hinchliffe ancients are now owned by Lancashire Games - they should be up and running soon. LG often has generous sales. I'm hoping to get some of the Successor elephants for a good price.

Another option you could consider is the 25mm (actually 28mm) Tin Soldier range. I got some samples recently. They can be very cute (the horses, not so much), and they're cheap!

https://tinsoldieruk.com/

I have Late Roman 20mm Newline if you're interested?

Iain
tim.w
Jezebel

Re: Wanted Old School Ancients

Post by tim.w »

Excellent info. Yes my lamming Assyrians are like dwarves compared to even the Hinchliffe Greeks. I'm hoping not to need to buy new on this project as I've been ebaying and foraging so far. Colonel Bill now has a vintage figure section and I bought a few Garrisson greek cavalry for almost less than they cost to post.

I won't say I'm not tempted by the late Romans but I'm going to stick with 25/28mm for my ancients and medievals. I've an ongoing DbX based project to build a few armies alongside a Hyborian project where I'm basing singles on movement trays. At some point I might pick up the Gripping Beast plastic late Romans as theyre great value.

The Tin Soldier stuff didnt grip me if I'm honest. Need another look I think.