WWII AFV decals

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Re: WWII AFV decals

Post by ochoin »

My understanding is there IS only one scale (1/72-20mm). Seriously, my biggish collection for all periods is exclusively at this.

As I'm trying to use only my existing WW2 collection, the endearing, re-cycled trash the 21st used is not possible. I'm thinking SS armoured + a Heer infantry battalion (as per above goals). BTW it doesn't bother me to use SS. I'm personally not a Nazi so there's no weird pyscho-sexual identification there. I also do Late Roman sociopathic Huns & Mahdist religious nutters (I'll leave out mentioning my beloved Covenanter army but they *could* be added to the list of infamy) because it is only a game.

donald
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

Bill has done what you plan and has organised his forces based on the Orders of Battle for OP Goodwood or Bluecoat. He may have told you when you met. That's the way I do my collections-pick a particular operation or battle and base the forces on that. Except for my 18mm SYW, where I went into "Kid in a lolly shop" mode. Bill may have suggestions for you and where to find the information you want- he knows the period much better than I do. The difficulty we had finding decals for his models was why Bill, Tim and I ended up getting the custom sheets done. You may have the same problem, mate, and may need a few sheets for each force.

I'm not a fan of the historical SS, but in a game they are just playing pieces. And they have some eye-catching colour schemes and uniforms. I don't blame you for wanting army infantry- no need to paint all those cam uniforms. :-)
Last edited by Spanner on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

I think Bill was (rightly) appalled at my amateurish efforts with WW2. He left, filled with tea & home made Italian biscotti, looking shell-shocked.

donald
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

It would be the biscotti, mate. He'd probably just eaten a month's worth of calories. Bill's quite happy to share knowledge, Donald, so he won't balk at answering questions.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?