A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

For your Wargames Wittering
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: A notice from Mr Spencer Smith ....

Post by FreddBloggs »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:36 pm I recently avoided a KS close to my heart (FPW Bavarians, released by Bavarian Miniatures) because of the limited number of packs they were releasing as part of their first KS, but also because the discounts for backing the KS were negligible. Yes, it's a business and it has to be profitable, but I do think that if people are prepared to stump up money for your project, you should reward them.
I agree, by investing up front, you should get a fair reward for them having your money early.

The Gloranthzn one I had a small involvement in, was about 20% off retail I believe.

I work very hard to avoid the FPW Baron, it fascinates me.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I think this one was about 5% - I was immediately struck by how stingey it was.

I've been finding how interesting the FPW is (and the 1866 war). However, my interest in the FPW is powered more by my love of Bavarian and Brunswick military history, rather than any affinity with the actual period - for example, the Brunswickers re-issued the 1815 flags for the 1st and 3rd Line Battalions to Prussian Infantry Regiment No.92, who carried them into action in the FPW.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

I am always astonished, that soldiers who fought as well as the French did, could be do badly led!
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am I think this one was about 5% - I was immediately struck by how stingey it was.
Why should you get a discount? You’re buying a product.

When you buy tickets to a concert, you pay in advance and get no discount. Most supermarket reward cards where you pay in advance is around 5%. And 5% is a better return than you’ll get on money in the bank.

I don’t expect any discount on a KS or preorder as I’m buying a product.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

You're 'hoping' to buy a product...
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Count Belisarius wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:27 pm You're 'hoping' to buy a product...
The purchaser is well aware of the risks in advance. I’m not convinced that translates into a discount.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

And that's the point. It's a risk. I want a little incentive to take that risk.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

But then wait for it to be released in the store? It is your decision to invest. Not the sellers.

Why should the producer carry the costs for risks over which they have no control?

I might be tempted to agree with you if it was a big corporation doing it. But often these are little producers and the success of the KS literally means the difference between paying the rent or not. Screwing them on price doesn’t sit well with me.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Jeremy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:24 pm
Why should the producer carry the costs for risks over which they have no control?
Why should the buyer cover the risks instead of the Producer?
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Jeremy wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:19 pm
BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:45 am I think this one was about 5% - I was immediately struck by how stingey it was.
Why should you get a discount? You’re buying a product.
Because they are getting your money in advance, along with the opportunity to invest it and earn interest (which I no longer have for that same money). I'm not looking for anything massive - 10% would have swayed me - but this was really stingey, actually I think it was less than 5%, compared to just about every other KS I've seen (and certainly all those I've subscribed to). On that basis, and especially given the postal rates and customs charges, I thought I'd wait until someone I know goes over to Germany and can pick it up, which will actually represent a much bigger saving.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.