Looking for.....Regency Mail Coach (possibly 1:43 scale).

For trading your quality goods
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Looking for.....Regency Mail Coach (possibly 1:43 scale).

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Do any of you remember those old newsagents-cum-model shops that used to have stock displays in the window that included a Regency Mail Coach, complete with six-horse team, driver and two "guards" sitting on a seat at the rear? Who made it and what scale was it (it wasn't 54mm/1:32, it was more toy car size, probably around 1:43)?

I've been trying to track one of these down and cannot find one anywhere, not even on Fleabay. Any help gratefully received.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: Looking for.....Regency Mail Coach (possibly 1:43 scale).

Post by FreddBloggs »

Matchbox I believe, they also did a stagecoach.

If you get desperate there is in one of the Old Airfius Annuals and article in scratchbuilding one.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

FreddBloggs wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:39 pm Matchbox I believe, they also did a stagecoach.
Yes Matchbox Models of Yesteryear.

I remember selling them in the mid-late 1980's :D
Although it only had a four horse team IIRC.
The MoY scales were somewhat...fluid. Often varied to fit the box so there's no guarantee it's anything "standard".
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

You are right - four-horse team. For some reason I had it in my mind it was a Britain's Deetail model! The scale should be ok for 28mm figures, as I have several of the "Models of Yesteryear" early 1900s vehicles as Great War staff cars and they fit nicely (I use GWM seated gunners as drivers).

A friend is putting together a highwayman sort of Sharp Practice game and wanted one. I found three on eBay at £12.00, £30.00 and £55.00 - the last kindly offered free postage! The horses and figures on the £12.00 one looked like they had lots of mould lines etc, so not sure if it was just the state of the mould, or whether knock-offs were appearing. Anyhoo, I went for that one - thanks for the info guys, much appreciated (odd that Googling "Regency Mail Coach model" produced absolutely nothing!).
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Try Regency Male Coach Model...
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

You wouldn't believe what "alternative" results I got for Regency Stage Coach Model.....
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Minifigs used to do a nice line in coaches
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:22 pm Do any of you remember those old newsagents-cum-model shops that used to have stock displays in the window that included a Regency Mail Coach, complete with six-horse team, driver and two "guards" sitting on a seat at the rear? Who made it and what scale was it (it wasn't 54mm/1:32, it was more toy car size, probably around 1:43)?

I've been trying to track one of these down and cannot find one anywhere, not even on Fleabay. Any help gratefully received.....
I am sure I have one of those somewhere?
Give me a few days I will look in the loft.

Willz.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Thanks, Willz, that's very kind of you, but I already bought one off Fleabay (I just needed to enter the "correct" words in the search engine - who knew?). It's quite "shiny" and not such a clean casting as the £33 and £55 versions - I'm just hoping that that was because it was later out of the mould than the others.

On second thoughts, maybe a future Ayton could be spiced up by late-evening Mail Coach racing..... :vdrunk:
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Mail coach vs clacks tower for message sending....