Shield Bashing 2024

For Loose Games & Shows.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Shield Bashing 2024

Post by Paul »

We'll be doing some shield bashing on Sunday at Ayton in May.
So far there are three of us signed up, myself, Tim W and Marshalney.
Any further players are always welcome and I could do a game on Saturday as well if that allows interested people to play all the games they want to be involved in over the weekend.
The "Theme" is AD600 Northern Britain but most Dark Age armies will work fine.
I can provide figures for those without.

Here is a shot of the afternoon game from November so you know what to expect.

MarshalNey
Gaynor

Re: Shield Bashing 2024

Post by MarshalNey »

Come and join us!
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

MarshalNey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:51 pm Come and join us!
We are not a cult, honest!

one of us...one of us...one of us
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Some of you are cults...
garyp
PurpleBot

Post by garyp »

Definitely want to give that a go. I've got Early Saxons or Vikings I can bring along, depending on the size of force required. Mine are sort of Lion Rampant sized with one or two extra units
Why us? Cos we're 'ere lad, nobody else.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

garyp wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:36 pm Definitely want to give that a go. I've got Early Saxons or Vikings I can bring along, depending on the size of force required. Mine are sort of Lion Rampant sized with one or two extra units
Early Saxon would fit in very well :D
I based the rules around Lion Rampant unit sizes so that will be good too.
Broadly 12 figure foot units and 6 figure cavalry units (unit footprint is 120mm frontage x 100mm depth so most basing regimes will fit onto a movement tray the right size).
Armies between 5-8 units depending on what you've got.
Getting you in on the Sunday would be great as it would mean we can do the "Three kings must die" mini campaign, but if saturday PM is better for you that would work too!
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

List for Sunday is now:
Tim W. : Goths
Marshalney : Late/Sub Roman
Gary: Early Saxon
Paul: Early Saxon
:D
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

I'm happy to do both.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

King Garnod stood on the snow spattered hilltop and looked east towards what had once been his lands. Now in his late middle age he found the armour heavy and the ornate, boars crested, helmet on his head restrictive. But he knew that the upcoming spring may be his last chance to regain his kingdom. Two client Kings in Rheged stood between him and providing his heirs with their true inheritance and his ally, Utta, gave the impression of not being entirely trustworthy. At best Garnods alliance with the younger man was an uneasy one, born out of necessity on his part and greed on Utta’s. Although the two Anglian Kings shared a family that had not stopped others from treachery in the tumult that had seen the Anglians expel the British from Deira and struggle for superiority. Footsteps behind Garnod, cracking the frosty ground, made him turn, it was Utta with a small trail of kinsmen guards.
“Looking for game? I’ll fetch the dogs.”, Utta said with a half smile.
“The only game I’m looking for is that usurping bastard, Kenacus although I’ll happily put his Goth Timimir to flight as well”, croaked Garnod, his voice dry from the cold air.
“I’ll fetch the larger of your boar spears then! But come we must speak and the cold of this place makes my ears ache.”
Utta led the way back towards the joint camp, where their intermingled warriors ate, drank and, more often than not, fought together. Garnod paused for a moment, taking a last glance at the valley stretched out below and the sparse smoked plumed hamlets that held what had been his people until 14 before. He was sure that their combined warbands could well be victorious, what he was less sure of was whether it would be him or Utta who claimed the victory.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Sounds like a cracking game Paul
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor