Altar of Freedom - 1st Bull Run

For Loose Games & Shows.
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Altar of Freedom - 1st Bull Run

Post by Ilkley Old School »

I have had Altar of Freedom (AoF) for nearly 4 years. I finally got my first game played last week and played the first battle of Bull Run or as the sesesh call it 1st Manassas.

I used my 10mm figures which are based for DBACW with Infantry on 40 by 20mm and artillery on 40 by 40mm and played on 4.5ft by 3ft table. AoF uses Infantry on 60 by 30mm and a 6 by 4ft table. Each unit is a brigade.

In the game the Federals decided to defend Centreville. This allowed Beareguard to take the initiative and once he had got across Bull Run to launch attacks on the defending Union troops particulary on the flanks.

By move 7 not only had the rebels taken Centreville they had destroyed 5 union units.

On reflection the Union should have defended the Bull Run crossings and been more aggressive although McDowells personality traits do not help him coordinate only allowing 1 division to activate per priority level. This is a tough one for the Union to win and needs the Union player to try and isolate and pick off any isolated Confederate units before they can consolidate and use their better brigades to gain the advantage.

A fun game with an interesting bidding system and use of priority points.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Re: Altar of Freedom - 1st Bull Run

Post by Count Belisarius »

That looked fun
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Nice looking game! I've got the rules and they certainly seem to capture the feel of the period for big battles.

PS. Andy, are you feeling ok, you used the word 'fun'?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

That's a very impressive looking table, Mark.

Iain