Tight wad

For your Wargames Wittering
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Tight wad

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

bangorstu wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:37 pm Spanner, not only is the Hobby Shop only 50m from Greggs, it's open 7 days a week.....
Yes, yes, yes, but is the Greggs also open 7 days a week?

(Asking for a friend, obviously.....)
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

Have you ever been to Cafe and Books in Llangollen,

Remember I'm British and Llangollen is around 90 minutes down the A5.... so no I've not only never been to that Cafe, I've never actually been to Llangollen.... :-D

But I shall add it to my list of things to do, though I tend to avoid tourist traps at this time of year for obvious reasons.

I have, in truth, never known the Greggs to be closed at all.
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

I didn't know it was a tourist trap. I found the bookshop when we had a pit stop on the drive from Betws-y-Coed to Shrewsbury. I picked up a couple of Greenhill Napoleonic memoirs for about 10 quid. Everything was jumbled and in piles, so it was a treasure hunt to find anything. In 2019 I took the opportunity to go back. As well as both Carmen books on the Simkin plates I also picked up a hardback A Bridge Too Far and Young's book on Edgehill in hardback- all for about 25 quid. On the second trip the downstairs cafe had become a pizza bar (with beer), but the bookshop was still upstairs, and they'd actually reorganised into sections. (The military section was on the left front, first passage on your right as you turn the corner.)
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

bangorstu wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:23 pm I tend to avoid tourist traps at this time of year for obvious reasons.
I don't know. There's a reason something is a "tourist trap". It's worth visiting.

Take Green island, only a 2 hour boat trip-service from Cairns.
https://www.green-island.com.au/
All the locals call it a T.T. but when you see it - a coral cay, in azure waters, perched on the Great Barrier Reef. it's got a WoW! factor even if there's rather a lot of Chinese & American tourists on it.

Of course, an unspoiled island is rather better eg Lizard Island:
https://www.wellbeing.com.au/escape/liz ... ravel.html

Bit harder to get to - you need your own boat or sea plane so I've only been there twice. A mere 250 kms from Cairns but still, remote enough with few tourists.

So you do have to be a little circumspect but avoid all the T.T.s & what do you end up experiencing?

donald
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

Tourist traps are worth visiting if you're the one on holiday,,,,