Annual Show game - a problem

For your Wargames Wittering
ochoin
Gaynor

Annual Show game - a problem

Post by ochoin »

We've staged a two day game at our local Train Show for 15? years.
This year, without telling us, they moved the date & 2 of our number will be OS at the time of the Show.
Apart from missing their company, they were providing about 25% of the figures for the ECW clash.

So - ECW is postponed. What to do? We have large collections but some are a bit awkward.
I'm thinking SYW. We have a combined force of Prussians that, number wise, are comparable to the "opposition's" numbers - my French & Austrians.

So, there's no historical battle that matches this - except Rossbach, which for obvious reasons is not suitable- & I'm at a loss for a plausible reason that some sort of "SYW Battle of the Nations" would occur.

Could any of you knowlegeable chaps weigh in here with advice &/or comment???

Only slightly desperate, donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Re: Annual Show game - a problem

Post by Essex Boy »

Apart from Fire and Fury ACW games with Old John, I don't think I've ever wargamed an actual battle. No, I lie. We did refight Minden in Gary's 'shed' a year or so back. I commanded the Highland Clans against the Redcoats I believe.

E
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

I know you prefer to have the right troops, Donald, but would a flag swap on your French be a viable alternative for the show? Most people won't even notice the slight differences in uniforms, such as lack of turnbacks, but they will notice the very different French flags.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

You're an Aussie, Dal. Do you really think most Brisvegans would have even have heard of the SYW much less recognise an incorrect uniform?
No, it's for us, not them.

I thought about your flag swop idea but that would be a fairly sizeable task to transform & then change back.Even re-locating new French flags might be a formidable task.

I think back to the drawing board & pick another period.

donald
Spanner
PurpleBot

Post by Spanner »

ochoin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm You're an Aussie, Dal. Do you really think most Brisvegans would have even have heard of the SYW much less recognise an incorrect uniform?
True, mate, but I was thinking more of the hobby "uniformologists" that will be drawn to the show.
I think back to the drawing board & pick another period.
Horses and pointy sticks always appeal to non-wargamers, mate. Have you got enough to take your Sea Peoples or Macedonians for an outing?
Last edited by Spanner on Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If "The System" is the answer, who asked such a bloody stupid question?
Willz the Wargamer
Gaynor

Post by Willz the Wargamer »

Don't do historical Donald do imagination your rules, your game, your figures.
I find it works well at wargame shows, it means the armchair experts can't pick up
that your figures are wearing the wrong shade of jackets and the general public
understand an imagination game better.

Willz.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Thanks for all the interest.
The really aren't many/any armchair experts attending. We are the only wargame there &, still, a curiosity. The Train show attracts a near total majority of parents seeking to distract their children & train enthusiasts. None have even heard of historical, miniature wargaming.
Any actual historical wargamers attending - maybe 3-6 over the 2 days- are either complementary or discreetly silent. For our own, twisted & obsessive reasons. we like to keep things as historical as possible.

I've put a couple of viable alternatives to the chaps (including a small SYW French versus Prussians battle - say about 20 or so units a side) & I'll see what arises.

donald