Imaginations

For your Wargames Wittering
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Imaginations

Post by Jeremy »

Although I like the concept and thoroughly enjoyed the Battle for the Wank Bridge, I can't bring myself to actually paint up an imaginary force. I'd much rather (as I currently am) paint up a historical force and use them. I feel justified in that they can then pull double duty in historical games.

Why is it that Imaginations tends to stick to the H&M period so predominantly? It's not popular in WW2 (VBCW is its OWN period with a set of defined forces), Dark Ages tends to fall into fantasy. No Ancients, Colonial or Naps to speak of. Why just this period?

And why do you do it?

Discuss...
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Re: Imaginations

Post by Count Belisarius »

Because...
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Count Belisarius wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:35 am Because...
.... if only the wizard there was.......
Tim Hall
Gaynor

Post by Tim Hall »

That's actually a good point Jeremy. I think that it's mainly because the founding fathers, Charles Grant Peter Young et al were WWII veterans, and, possibly, their experiences in that struggle coloured their thinking. A way of playing at the game of war in a more civilised fashion, if you will. Even HG Wells, in so many ways the first wargamer, did not use factual armies for his battles. I think, not being a tricorne buff, that the 19th century lends itself to "imaginations" equally well. Tim W and I are very happy with our "little wars" games, which are firmly rooted in 1890-1910, both in style and look. But for me, the clue is in the word "Imaginations". As creative people surely we can use our imagination to set our battles in whatever fictitious world and time we choose, rather than bind ourselves to the slavish tyranny of history and the opinion of our peers. That is certainly the ethos that Whiskey and I play by. I enjoy it as much, if not more, quite frankly. It frees me up from adherence to commercial rules and somebody else's view of history, and satisfies my pleasure in playing with Toy Soldiers, which I now enjoy and embrace far more than "historical wargaming", which, if I am honest is starting to bore me. But I never counted myself as a "wargamer" anyway, just someone who loves painting and collecting Toy Soldiers, and occasionally fighting battles with them.
Rules? You ask me what rules do I use. No, I don't do rules.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Strange you should say that Jeremy.........

I was chatting to Hotel Tim only a couple of weeks ago about medieval imaginations, or rather a Hyboria type campaign using our medieval armies. It's Tim's idea but I'm well up for it because it means I can use all my Lamming stuff.

Long ago I concluded that ancient armies are already mostly 'imaginary', people just don't like to admit it. I'm going to paint my 20mm ancient stuff just for fun and I'll chuck whatever I fancy on the table. I think our Henry has had thoughts along the same lines (painting for fun that is).

Iain

Edit......evidently Tim and I were writing our comments at the same time.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Essex Boy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:49 am
Edit......evidently Tim and I were writing our comments at the same time.
No you wren't....
Has anybody seen you at the same game eh? :EB: or even under the same cavalry charge....
How can you be seen together is one of you is always missing ( I.e lost )

NO?...
I fort so....
I rest my case.....
You are both the same person, but one of you is in drag.... :idea:

I just haven't worked out which one it is yet though :moredrink: :VB: :D
Purple
Grizzly Madam

Post by Purple »

I think Imaginations is smashing. But on smaller figure scales.
I mean imagine painting hundreds of 28mm figures for it. Lunacy. Who would even do that?
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

My own Imagination, apart from the VBCW, is set in the 1920's on the NW Frontier in Rhanzlistan. You may have seen it on my dedicated blog or in Wargames Illustrated not too long ago. It doesn't need hundreds of figures either, though Phil provides the Russians of the Soviet Peoples' International Frontier Force, the SPIFF, and I provide the wily Bhurpa tribesmen.
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

I think there's a strong sub-period in modern (1970's onwards) imaginations with a variety of fictious African/Arab/East European 'stans
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

levied troop wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:35 pm I think there's a strong sub-period in modern (1970's onwards) imaginations with a variety of fictious African/Arab/East European 'stans
This is true