Grizzly Madam

Re: Ayton 2020 - Sunday 18th Century Game

Post by Peeler »

What was that about coppers?
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

They're all … Ooh, Ow, Please don't hit me again.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Oh dear, looks like Buff has thrown himself down the stairs again......
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

...and right on to a pile of phone directories. Rotten luck there.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

But I mean what were the chances he’d do it three times in a row?
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

Make that four..
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Gentlemen

From today and over the next few weeks I’ll post some notes which I hope will explain how the Rank and File rules will work for the big 18thC game on the Ayton Sunday (we’ll probably use them for the WSS game on the Saturday as well). Specifically, the intention is to say which of the published ‘optional rules’ we’ll be using, and to introduce the ‘house’ rules that I’ve incorporated. Happy to answer questions.

You’ll find the notes on the first post, page one, of this thread.

I must stress that the rules are very simple indeed and that even if you don’t read the notes, you’ll pick them up very quickly when you play them. Everyone will get a copy of the QRS and an abridged version of the ‘Ayton’ rules on the day (sooner if you don’t mind printing them off for yourself).

Feel free to fill the next few pages with totally irrelevant bollox. I’ll post again when I’ve written the next section for the notes.….unless anyone has any questions that is?
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Essex Boy wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:09 pm Foot in line can wheel up to 45⁰, horse up to 90⁰. The rules say that units cannot move diagonally but, frankly, I can’t see how this can possibly be policed...?
Super easy....barely an inconvenience. Oblique movement is obviously allowed in the full rules but not in the C18th Special rules. However I can't find anything which restricts you to a single wheel so, if you want to keep exactly within the rules as written anyone wishing to move diagonally could take half their total wheel at the start and half at the end of their move. Taking care not to exceed move allowance for the element that moved furthest.....or just allow oblique movement similar to later periods if you're a free spirit. :evilgrin:

Personally I don't see a little side shuffle (up to an element width) as a problem anyway. But policing of the rules on movement direction is surely no different to policing distance moved?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

As usual, Paul, you are absolutely right. On the other hand, what may be "a little side shuffle" to one person may be an outrageous flaunting of a clear prohibition to someone else.

I really don't mind one way or the other. Perhaps then it's one of those things which can be left to the players to decide on the day. I'll write the rules up accordingly.

Many thanks

Iain
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Essex Boy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:01 pm As usual, Paul, you are absolutely right.
Can I please quote this to my wife?