Ayton 2020 - Sunday 18th Century Game

For Loose Games & Shows.
Vintage Wargaming
PurpleBot

Re: Ayton 2020 - Sunday 18th Century Game

Post by Vintage Wargaming »

Surely units can move diagonally only if led by a bishop figure?
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

At last, a sensible suggestion.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Paul wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Essex Boy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:01 pm As usual, Paul, you are absolutely right.
Can I please quote this to my wife?
Not if you don't want to be sent to a reeducation camp.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Can I just clarify something about unit organisation?
Can we agree on what constitutes an Element/Base of troops. if we haven't already, so that differently based units don't confuse people. (well me).

I'm working on: Formed Foot Element, 6 figures; Skirmish Foot, 2 figures; Formed Cavalry, 3 figures; Skirmish cavalry, 2 figures.

Is that broadly in line with what others are doing?
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Are you new here Paul? Have you not learned not to discuss basing, especially on one of EB’s threads!
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

All units will probably be deemed to have the same number of bases, most likely six but perhaps eight depending on the play test. A 'base' is therefore simply the nomenclature for referring to the fighting strength of a unit. Casualties are not removed but instead a running total of whole base casualties will be indicated using a dice or other appropriate marker. A 'base' is removed on every third hit – hits being caused by shooting and melee (you’ll have a supply of little discs to track the hits).

Units keep the same footprint regardless of the bases lost because loss of 'bases' indicates all manor of factors which would reduce a unit's ability to carry on. So it doesn't matter how you base your troops. Happy days.

We have between us quite a variety of base widths and unit sizes. Making them all effectively the same makes sense and I’m sure players will be able to make the necessary tweaks during the game. This has been play tested and no insurmountable issues were identified. It may be that the very largest of units will be asked to bring their frontage down a little, but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to cope with frontages ranging from 180mm to 250mm. Large cavalry units can be formed in double lines.......which looks very manly.

Calculation of melee and shooting will take into account any potential advantages/disadvantages.

Guns, troops deployed in skirmish or open order and 'specials' are not covered by the above.....because they have their own rules. More on that anon.

The best thing to do is to organise your troops how you want because we can accommodate anything. Probably.

Iain
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

So what you're saying is that my standard cavalry unit size (24 Figures) would be counted as the same as it would be if it were half the size?
Meaning that I should half the unit size and double the number of units? (Effectively counting differing 'squadrons' of one Regt as their own unit?)
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Yes, indeed.

Gary's cavalry is twelve figures strong for instance. Mine are fifteen figures strong. Andy's are twelve or fifteen depending on wind direction and which side of the bed he alighted from.

Of course, some sod may restrict the number of units you can field.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

I'm only at 4-5 Brigades, including very little artillery, so nothing hugely outrageous :)
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

I tend to agree.....but I would, because I have more than that. But we must set the troop numbers at a level where we can get a result in six hours.
More will be know when the scenario/s are decided.