This week at the club.

For your Wargames Wittering
tim.w
Jezebel

This week at the club.

Post by tim.w »

My Waffen SS took a kicking from a French Resistence army, full of elite Sudanese!? and Americans. Good game had though.

Heartwarming to see a beautiful old school game of 25mm Italian Wars Renaissance all glossed up with lovely flags. DbR rules but they had a good game despite them. :lol:

They still play a fair bit of Shako there too, good game of that the other night too with stripey bounce stills.
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Re: This week at the club.

Post by Shahbahraz »

DBR may be 'old school' these days, but they still work very well for some wars, ECW & Italian Wars being two. They don't work for ahistoric 'competition style' matchups, which was what they frequently got used for.
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

The French North African units were certainly feared by the Germans in 1940, nice to see its continuing into ‘44.

Never did get on with DBR despite liking DBA/M. Oddly enough I recall my first game was with Neanderthal set in the Irish campaigns using Spanish Tercios as Elizabethans and Mahdists as Irish. Those Sudanese fellas get everywhere!
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
Neanderthal
First Base

Post by Neanderthal »

How age saps the memory!
It was an Irish army of Redoubt figures. (Not sure why I painted one but the sea air may have got to me.) Still I suppose to the colonial oppressor one lot of big hairy guys in nightshirts looks pretty much like another and LT had trouble seeing beyond the end of his ruff in those days.
I can still remember the look on his face when he saw how many Irish you got for the points.
We got a lot of mileage out of DBM but ended up using HOTTs for the Italian wars. (The Da Vinci machines were too tempting!)
The French "chop, chops" are very bad news in Bolt Action but their owner doesn't play CoC so I haven't played them since I moved on to that set.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

levied troop wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 am Oddly enough I recall my first game was with Neanderthal set in the Irish campaigns using Spanish Tercios as Elizabethans and Mahdists as Irish. Those Sudanese fellas get everywhere!
For shame - have ya nivver heard of da Black Oirish? :fp:
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am
levied troop wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 am Oddly enough I recall my first game was with Neanderthal set in the Irish campaigns using Spanish Tercios as Elizabethans and Mahdists as Irish. Those Sudanese fellas get everywhere!
For shame - have ya nivver heard of da Black Oirish? :fp:
Farmer Michael misunderstands the Black and Tans..

https://youtu.be/h03zu2liJXY
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

tim.w wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm My Waffen SS took a kicking from a French Resistence army, full of elite Sudanese!? and Americans. Good game had though.
That’s one of my pet peeves about BA in that a lot of people tend to build unrealistic forces. It’s why I don’t play BA unless it’s a scenario. All the pick up games I’ve played have tended to be quite broken. The minimum about of elite troops supported by a ton of armour and ordinance
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

Neanderthal wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:55 am How age saps the memory!
We definetly used Mahdists inappropriately for a playtest of something or other. Or was that something else? What did I come in here for?
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Neanderthal wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:55 am The French "chop, chops" are very bad news in Bolt Action but their owner doesn't play CoC so I haven't played them since I moved on to that set.
The CoC Blitzkrieg book gives them a bonus in hand-to-hand (I was going to say "fisticuffs" but I suspect that that is way, way too gentlemanly an expression for the way they got stuck in!). I'm planning on raising a CoC platoon of Senegalese from the Crusader range, but using the normal helmeted figures (more accurate and more support options sans decapitations). However, I could not resist buying a section/box of the Warlord Senegalese in fez, partly because of the two figures waving their coupe-coupes about in a threatening manner, and partly because the extra figures will allow me to deploy NCOs in fez just to spice up the unit.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Jeremy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:45 am
tim.w wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm My Waffen SS took a kicking from a French Resistence army, full of elite Sudanese!? and Americans. Good game had though.
That’s one of my pet peeves about BA in that a lot of people tend to build unrealistic forces. It’s why I don’t play BA unless it’s a scenario. All the pick up games I’ve played have tended to be quite broken. The minimum about of elite troops supported by a ton of armour and ordinance
Yes, the problem is some people competition play, so they build bizarre forces of huge numbers from low points or free units. Not my thing, I prefer a more realistic scenario. Beggars and choosers though and I still enjoyed it. My opponent had character figures from Inglorious Basterds and Kelly's Heros, which was fun to do but not to everyone's taste I'm sure. I'm not keen on where Warlord has taken the game and I'm still on 1st edition, there's rumours of a 3rd out this year and that just frustrates me a little.