Pointy Stick Advice - Marian Romans

For your Wargames Wittering
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Pointy Stick Advice - Marian Romans

Post by bangorstu »

OK folks so for Infamy Infamy I'm looking at getting some Late Republican Romans for the conquest of Gaul and others wars around that time.

Agema and Aventine look wonderful but seem to be pre-marian reforms... all Hastati etc.

So where to get the lads for taking on Vercingetorix?

Thanks for your wisdom in advance.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Re: Pointy Stick Advice - Marian Romans

Post by Jeremy »

You can never go wrong with Foundry

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collect ... egionaries
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

The warlord Caesarian Romans are a lot better than the EIR set but Foundry are the nicest.
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

I get lockdown, but I get up again.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Newline do Marians as well.
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

For Marian Period Romans, I use the Victrix plastic 'Republican' Romans, the later classic Legionary in Segmentata is post Marian. Helmets evolved as well into the more classic Gallic styles. I doubt whether anyone would quibble though.

The only disadvantage I found is that the Victrix are tall chaps so if you want Barbarians to tower over your puny Legionaries you need big figures for them.

And I note Jeremy's comments on another thread about Victrix Pila breaking easily, and that must be the EIR set, the Republican legions pila are attached to the sprue at the arm and end of the spearshaft, so don't have the problem with breaking when detaching (the plastic itself is a little flexible so I haven't had any problems with breakages, with either of two sets I got from Caliver three years apart, one the old boxed set, and more recently, one of the bagged versions.)
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
MarshalNey
Gaynor

Post by MarshalNey »

PArdon my stupidity but this "Gallic" style you are talking about (I did visit the Foundary site) was it a style the Romans picked up from the Gauls or were the troops invading Gaul kitted out like this?
Zenbadger
Gaynor

Post by Zenbadger »

Gallic refers to a mail shirt and a helmet which was developed from Gallic examples. The most common gallic style helmet at the time of the late republic would be the montefortino which is your basic "reverse jockey cap" with cheek pieces. The iconic EIR helmet is almost invariably an Imperial Gallic or Imperial Italic style but both are developments of gallic headgear. Before the adoption of Gallic gear, Romans would have looked a lot more like a greek hoplite.
bangorstu
PurpleBot

Post by bangorstu »

The problem with the Warlord Romans which annoys me is the figures waving a gladius about still have another sheathed one on their belts...

Are 1st Corps any good?
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

MarshalNey wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:15 pm PArdon my stupidity but this "Gallic" style you are talking about (I did visit the Foundary site) was it a style the Romans picked up from the Gauls or were the troops invading Gaul kitted out like this?
They had it when they invaded Gaul proper, having picked up the style from fighting cisalpine and transalpine Gauls. Remember northern Italy was Gaulish, not Latins.