Speaking of Zulus....

For Loose Games & Shows.
ochoin
Gaynor

Speaking of Zulus....

Post by ochoin »

The scenario for a game to be held (hopefully) this year.

Hlobane
Scenario: Colonel Wood has despatched Major Buller & his mounted force to harass & destroy Mbilini & his people on Hlobane mountain (a plateau). Just after arrival, they are surprised by an impi (fresh from Islandlewana) on their way to attack Wood at Khambula.
The British must escape as best they are able but this should not be a precipitate retreat as they desire to do as much damage as possible to their Zulu enemies.

Terrain & dispositions: The battlefield represents the plateau where Mblini had his homestead. Kraal & cattle will be in the centre, the only two exits will be at the small ends of the table.
The game begins with two regiments of Mbilini’s AbuQulosi defending the Kraal and the Anglo mounted force on the table, near the Kraal, just outside of rifle range.
The Zulu impi will enter from the right (odd) & left (even) long sides.

Victory Conditions:
The British will get one point for every Horseman who escapes Hlobane. Further, they get 3 points per cow model they take with them* and 6 points for burning the Kraal**.
Any Zulu regiment they destroy or rout gives them 3 points.
The Zulus get 2 points for every British horseman killed. Further, they gain 3 points for killing Captain Barton and Commandant Raaf and 6 points for Major Buller.

Special Rules: Although the Zulus must stay in their regiments, individual British figures can move independently, if the British player decides on this risky course.
*Each model of a cow must be in base contact with a horseman, who travels at walking pace.
**the kraal is burned by having 3 Horseman inside it for 2 turns.
The impi begins to arrive on Turn D4. At the start of this turn & subsequent turns, a D6 will give the number of regiments arriving (1-2 = 1 regiment, 3-4 = 2 regiments, 5-6= 3 regiments) and on which side ( further D6 is thrown with odd meaning an entrance on the left & even for the right hand side).

Zulu Returns: Any Zulu regiment from the Impi that is destroyed or routed off table, can return the next turn on a 5-6 of a D6 roll (1-2 means no return, 4-5 means held over & must dice at the next Turn).

NB The British have 9 figure units of Mounted Infantry, NNH, NMP and Irregular Horse (all with equivalent dismounted figures & Horse Holder stand) and 2 x 6 figure units of 17th Lancers and 1 X 6 figure unit of Dragoon Guards (cannot dismount to fight). NB few of these units were at Hlobane but I plead 'Wargamer's Necessity'.

Please feel free to offer suggestions etc.

donald
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Speaking of Zulus....

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

No mothers-in-law then? Have you learned nothing from your time on here?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

So, would the British win if they ran straight off the table and avoided any contact?

I only ask because, in the absence of anything to hide behind, that's my favoured tactic.

Iain
Vintage Wargaming
PurpleBot

Post by Vintage Wargaming »

Simple coin toss for the British player. Heads you win, tails Zulus.

Someone threw a spear at me and assegai that did it.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Did you celebrate your victory by drinking a martini, Henry ?
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Essex Boy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm So, would the British win if they ran straight off the table and avoided any contact?

I only ask because, in the absence of anything to hide behind, that's my favoured tactic.

Iain
"The British must escape as best they are able but this should not be a precipitate retreat as they desire to do as much damage as possible to their Zulu enemies."

And you'd be no fun to game with.

donald
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

He isn’t
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Iain *is* fun to drink with though.

donald
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

ochoin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:33 am Iain *is* fun to drink with though.

donald
You're so nice.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

ochoin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:33 pm
Essex Boy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm So, would the British win if they ran straight off the table and avoided any contact?

Iain
"The British must escape as best they are able but this should not be a precipitate retreat as they desire to do as much damage as possible to their Zulu enemies."

And you'd be no fun to game with.

donald
But just in case you should encounter a cowardly cove like me, perhaps the scoring options shouldn't reward such appalling behaviour? Maybe give the Zulus points for protecting their cattle etc?