Wargames Magazines.

For your Wargames Wittering
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Re: Wargames Magazines.

Post by Ilkley Old School »

I have not bought a magazine in years.

When I did buy them I liked MWAN the best as it was full of letters and articles written by wargames who were enthusiastic about their subject.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Same reply as others really. I don't buy magazines now - they clutter up space and rarely have much of interest to me. WSS occasionally for a specific article. Battlegames was amazing but there's been nothing of its calibre since.

I put my mags money into podcast subs now - thats pretty much replaced my instalments of chat, opinion and commentary. Pics of figures and adverts come from the internet. "How to" stuff from YouTube.

Humour and entertainment come from forums. Not this one. Obviously.
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Oooooh, harsh.

Fair, but harsh.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

I still have a WSS Digital sub but find it harder to get round to reading as I have to find my tablet! I get a paper copy if Ancient Warfare as there is good stuff there worth keeping. WI I haven't even looked at for years. Same with post-Henry MW. I used to pick up the occasional copy for train journeys (but that has been a while) and for freebies but gave up on that as I just have a small pile of sprues I'll never use...

WSS is still by far the best for me. Apart from Rick Priestley's columns. If he just got round to the point he was trying to make his columns would be less than half a page...
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Have a WSS digital subscription, but haven’t opened the last three copies yet. Like Simon, podcasts and audio books are now my go to and have been for nearly two years now. So much so that I’m struggling to keep up
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Yes, as per most earlier posts I don't buy mags anymore, since cancelling a WSS subscription a few years ago.
I have a lot of old mags though, which provide a great library of articles, pics and inspiration. The storage challenge means that I wouldn't be able to keep more even if there was anything out there I thought worth buying.

Although I use the web a lot for looking at blogs and forums, and access some hobby podcasts and Youtube vids, I personally don't find digital content (magazines, rules, etc) of any real interest or benefit. I tend to forget I've even got the stuff downloaded, and yet more screen time to read it just doesn't appeal.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

same here. I've got loads of PDFs that I hardly ever access
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

A case in point today I stuck my head in Smith's. WI was themed around river battles which I feel is a bit "scattergun" for a theme, how many people would find every article interesting? WSS was more consistent with a 20th century warfare in Vietnam but not an area for me.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

Love my digital WSS subscription, it's a treat for bedtime reading. I don't read all the articles and the theme can be 'ho hum' but the commentators, reviews and so on are always good value. And it works out very cheaply. That and Slingshot from the Society of Ancients are the only specifically history/wargame magazines/periodicals I get these days, other than recommended papers on Academia.net
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Similar thoughts then. I wonder if the younger, fantasy gamers prefer White Dwarf more than we like 'our' magazines.