Black powder but not black powder

For your Wargames Wittering
tim.w
Jezebel

Black powder but not black powder

Post by tim.w »

So my recent tinkering with my very long Napoleonics project has sparked my interest again but I've found myself wondering what the end point is? I origionally started basing them for Black Powder and intended to just have enough to contribute to a bigger game should one occur somewhere one day. I've read some debate on the net about how/if BP can scale down, for example if I just want to play a small game of say 5-6 units a side and most opionion seems to be that it wouldn't work or be over in 10 minutes. So I'm wondering where I'm aiming for now in terms of a game? I could break units down or arrange them for smething like Neil Thomas' rules? Thinking out loud a bit here but feel free to throw me some ideas. I keep thinking I should have kept the SYW project instead so I had something for possible future Aytons but was too far on with the Nap Prussians compared to the one painted Russian SYW figure with unpainted units of foot I sold on (to Jamie I think?) Might do both..
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Re: Black powder but not black powder

Post by Norman D. Landings »

Is it too big to be thinking Sharpe Practice?
Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

Phil, Jon and I have played BP in all sorts of size configurations. None has been over in 10 minutes and all have flowed really well. For example, we've played F&IW games with four units as side, the trick is in adapting the structure and command of each unit. It plays almost as well as a skirmish level game as a wargame. In our 1914 adaptions each battalion commander stands for a Brigade commander and each of four companies can thus be ordered individually as if they were a battalion.
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Post by Ilkley Old School »

I am thinking of using NT Napoleonic rules with my classic figures with 6 stands per unit.

I may need to tweak them though as I cant get over fail a morale test lose a stand.

You could of course use 'Charge' which can easily be played with 6 units a side. How many figures do you have in a unit?
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I would give my vote to either Sharp Practice, or Charge! if you want a simple, low-level game. Charge! is probably a lot easier to tinker with if you find there's anything lacking.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Norman D. Landings wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 pm Is it too big to be thinking Sharpe Practice?
Hadn't thought of that but wasnt thinking skirmish level necessarily. Do you not need individual bases?
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Penda wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:38 pm Phil, Jon and I have played BP in all sorts of size configurations. None has been over in 10 minutes and all have flowed really well. For example, we've played F&IW games with four units as side, the trick is in adapting the structure and command of each unit. It plays almost as well as a skirmish level game as a wargame. In our 1914 adaptions each battalion commander stands for a Brigade commander and each of four companies can thus be ordered individually as if they were a battalion.
Yes I do now remember a game of AWI long time ago when BP was new 2012? We had small units then around a main body of infantry each. The arguments against I read online seemed to be from fairly inflexible thinkers to be fair.
tim.w
Jezebel

Post by tim.w »

Thanks gents all good food for thought. I think Charge is the way to go. Hadn't even considered it despite it being the most recent book I bought. I am no Napoleonic expert so may even go Imaginaps to an extent as with the Charge theme. I'm liking the new Perry Saxons so they might be the next unit.

So far I only have a 36man unit of Prussian line, 2 guns and a stand of Landwehr painted from years ago and more recently the horse gun. Cavalry still to paint. I can't see me with more than two or three line units a few guns and a couple of horse units done in the next few years alongside everything else. But that would be perfect Charge material.
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Post by Paul »

Imaginaps....oh........F%&@ just stop it!

Surprised no one suggested Bruce Quarries Airfix Guide rules :D :D :D
The first Napoleonic rules I used (at age 11) and absolutely fantastic. Although still the reason I can be found rocking gently in a corner muttering about march rates of Prussian Jaeger when anyone talks skirmishers.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

tim.w wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 pm
Norman D. Landings wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 pm Is it too big to be thinking Sharpe Practice?
Hadn't thought of that but wasnt thinking skirmish level necessarily. Do you not need individual bases?
Nope. Just use casualty markers. TFL rules have always been basing agnostic