What's on your workbench?

For your Wargames Wittering
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: What's on your workbench?

Post by FreddBloggs »

Shahbahraz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:07 pm Looking forward to seeing pictures

- I confess to having been seriously tempted by ACW, too much Shelby Foote. Though I would probably do it in 6 or 10mm - and then I realise I really don't need another period. Although now I think about it, there's a couple of Corps of FPW in 6mm lurking in the shed. French Imperial, French Republic, Bavarian and Prussian IIRC. errr...
I always fancied doing an early world war with franco prussian, british, austrian, russian and acw troops etc.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I do like the Indian Pattern Carrier.

A 1:300 RN armed trawler - I seem to have glued the fo'c's'le gun bandstand on a bit wonky and the locating holes for the lifeboat davits are largely imaginary, but otherwise it looks ok-ish.

Tomorow - a feast of Fairmiles.....
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

valleyboy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:43 pm What are you going to do about your OZ stash? Can't you get it sent over?
It's problematic, as HMRC see it as 'importing' and want to charge me customs and VAT, which really really shits me, because the vast bulk of it was purchased from the UK over time. I had a friend package up and send me my EIR Romans (15mm) and I was charged £70.

There is an exception if you are bringing over personal effects, but it only last for 2 years from the date you entered, so effectively, I'm stuck.
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:44 pm I do like the Indian Pattern Carrier.

A 1:300 RN armed trawler - I seem to have glued the fo'c's'le gun bandstand on a bit wonky and the locating holes for the lifeboat davits are largely imaginary, but otherwise it looks ok-ish.

Tomorow - a feast of Fairmiles.....
What rules are you using for the coastal battles? I see there are quite a few 3d files available for printing, and it is a bit tempting.
Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Here's the first of quite a few British and Hanoverian Redcoat battalions finished for the Seven Years War, namely the 12th (Napier's) Regiment of Foot. The two detached grenadiers on the end are from the same regiment, but will be massed with grenadiers from other regiments to form a grenadier battalion.

Penda
Gaynor

Post by Penda »

Nicely done there!
There is no point in being stupid if you don't show it!

www.talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk
www.talesfromrhanzlistan.blogspot.co.uk
Buff Redux
PurpleBot

Post by Buff Redux »

Yes indeed.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Shahbahraz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:07 pm What rules are you using for the coastal battles? I see there are quite a few 3d files available for printing, and it is a bit tempting.
I've plumped for Coastal Patrol, which appeared in the 2011 Too Fat Lardies Summer Special, and which I played with Brian Hall ("Sarge") on VLD4 and 5. I've got the Cruel Seas rule book, but have heard all sorts of gripes about it and didn't like it personally on a read-through - taken as a whole, it seems to have been released before it had been properly tested. I'm also trying to get hold of Narrow Seas and Action Stations, both by David Manley, which are the "serious nutters" rules (as compared to the "beer and pretzels" approach of Coastal Patrol) - essentially "you've hit my 912mm frontal armour at an angle of precisely 23 degrees 47 minutes, with a 49.8mm shell going at 345kph, plus a following wind of approximately 6 knots, and it's a Wednesday, so we roll 3xD6, 2xD10 and 1xD47, take away the number we first thought of and....." versus "What A Tanker". No contest.

Despite having bought a load of 1:600 stuff from Heroics & Ros and PT Dockyard back in 2018, I decided to try out the 1:300 Warlord vessels for simple skirmishes up to half-a-dozen vessels a side, but a mate has just built himself a wargames shed with a 12' x 6' table, and I seem to have unconsciously extended the parameters to include R-Boats, F-Lighters, Siebel Ferries etc etc (basically anything less than a destroyer). Unfortunately, Warlord seem to have "shut up shop" on the Cruel Seas range, which is a shame as they are cracking models (if not always accurate) and more of the smaller merchant ships are needed - if you're looking for ideas. That said, I've found a company that produces just the stuff I want, but it's in the US, so major postal issues (caused by Trump, but Biden has shown no sign of repairing the damage). Plus the vessels are eye-wateringly expensive ($60+ per item).

As Arfur Daley would say: "The world is your lobster."
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

RMD wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:31 am The two detached grenadiers on the end are from the same regiment, but will be massed with grenadiers from other regiments to form a grenadier battalion.
Maxwell's wasn't it? Served in a reserve brigade (commander unknown) alongside a battalion of Hanoverian grenadiers under a chap named Wasabe!
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:28 am
RMD wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:31 am The two detached grenadiers on the end are from the same regiment, but will be massed with grenadiers from other regiments to form a grenadier battalion.
Maxwell's wasn't it? Served in a reserve brigade (commander unknown) alongside a battalion of Hanoverian grenadiers under a chap named Wasabe!
That's right. Maxwell's Bn had the grenadiers from all six British regiments present - 12th, 20th, 23rd, 25th, 37th & 51st. And yes, the von Wasabe family were a very old German family; a branch of the Outer East Prussian von Tokugawa family.