The Herdstones

For Loose Games & Shows.
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

The Herdstones

Post by Jeremy »

As I'm on leave, and the girls are all out the house for the day, I thought I'd have another test play of my homegrown rules.

Davrek Kegstand has been tasked with destroying the Herdstone to stop the next gathering of a mighty warherd. Will his Miners succeed? Or will Gorthag Thighbiter's Beastmen feast well on Dwarven flesh tonight? (Apologies to those who have seen this already on Twitter!)

Davrek Kegstand and Grongi Ironhelm surge forward, there are no Beastmen in sight thanks to a double phase in the first turn. Could this be easier than they thought? Snorri the Champion knows better. He can smell the rank odour of the Beastmen on the breeze.

With a savage roar of ‘Stunties!’ Gorthag Thighbiter surges forward from the ruins with his Beastmen. Bollox the Shaman follows, already grunting his foul incantations

‘Fire!’ Roars Davrek Kegstand, and the shot from the Arqubusiers strikes the Beastmen. Two fall, and Gorthag himself is hit, though clearly beloved of the Chaos Gods, there is no sign of a wound upon him.

Another volley slams into the Beastman horde as, with a cacophony of bestial grunts, they move towards the Dwarves. Two more fall, and again Gorthag is hit, and yet again the Chaos Gods shine their warped light down upon him, leaving him unwounded.

With a litany of grunts and curses, Bollox the Shaman calls on the power of the Dark Gods, and fumbles! Fortunately there are Fate Points spare to avert this crisis and his spell is unleashed on the Dwarves. Three die and Davrek himself burns, though appears unharmed as the flames subside. Gorthag issues the charge, but it falls short, clearly the Beastmen aren’t too keen to get too close to the infernal flames. The Hounds are unleashed on the flank to cause havoc

Like a great unwashed, grunting and stinking wave, the Beastmen and their allies fall upon the Dwarves. Grimnir the Slayer King watches on in impotent fury, whilst the hounds start to move round the flanks.

The fighting is bloody and desperate. The Miners are forced back, causing disruption to the Skirmishers and the Minotaurs take a bloody toll on the Dwarves. On the other flank, both champions are killed, the Arquebusiers all but destroyed whilst the Beastmen are also pushed back.

The last Arquebusier is torn apart and with his dying action, detonates his gun powder, knocking Gorthag out for 4 turns. The Dwarven axes destroy the Beastmen in front of them, whilst on the other flank, the Minotaurs start to feed on Dwarven corpses, including that of Grongi Ironhelm

With a howl, the Hounds fall on the rear of the Dwarves. Bollox the Shaman attempts to cast a spell and fumbles AGAIN. He is consumed in a ball of fire and the smell of roasting fat and hair fills the air.

The Hounds tear apart all but three of the Dwarves who burst through Davrek and the Dwarves in front of them, causing chaos. The Hounds, with a chilling howl, fall upon the rear of the Davrek and his Dwarves. Dwarven morale plummets

Dwarven force morale plummets to zero as the Hounds push the Axemen back.

Brutal game, the inability of the Dwarves to get their Slayers anywhere near a combat cost them dearly. The rear charge by the Hounds pretty much sealed the Dwarven fate. Fun game, couple of tweaks needed, but getting there!
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Re: The Herdstones

Post by FreddBloggs »

Wnere is the beastman supply cart, ghat much dwarf to eat heeds a LOT of garlic!
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

Beastmen and Minotaurs aren't picky eaters!
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Very cool
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Count Belisarius
Grizzly Madam

Post by Count Belisarius »

Excellent! Though at first glance when Bollox is consumed by fire I thought he was being savaged by a couple of giant guinea pigs...
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

That’s a niche sexual fetish, we don’t judge
levied troop
Grizzly Madam

Post by levied troop »

goat major wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:59 pmVery cool
But not for Bollox!

Extremely nice looking game :clappy: :clappy:
I get lockdown, but I get up again.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

"Herdstones! Meet the Herdstones!
They're a modern wargames family.
From the town of Bury,
They're a page right out of fantasy."
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
valleyboy
Jezebel

Post by valleyboy »

Next it will be the Headstones vs The Flintstones
I think I might start taking bets
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Be careful - Barney won't like you taking Betty.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.