What if Italy had stayed neutral in WWII?

For your Wargames Wittering
Paul
Grizzly Madam

Re: What if Italy had stayed neutral in WWII?

Post by Paul »

Peeler wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:25 pm Would there have been any chance, however sight, of Italy joining the Allies
Surely the 300,000 strong co-belligerent army of Southern Italy did after Mussolini was removed from power?
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

I think Churchill would have offered Italy to the Russians rather than have them on his side again.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

grizzlymc wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:31 am I think Churchill would have offered Italy to the Russians rather than have them on his side again.
On hearing that Italy had declared war on the allies, "It's only fair, we had to have them last time."
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

One result would have been my father-in-law wouldn't have been able to tell his interminable stories about sheltering in a cave in the Gran Sasso, hiding from the American bombers, & living on guinea pigs (I know! Feral guinea pigs?).

On a more serious note, some of the irreparable damage done during the war would not have happened. The wife has some family in Civita Vecchio, north of Rome. It was, evidently, a perfect medieval town but, unfortunately, a place the Americans would jettison their bombs on if a target was clouded over. So now it's a post-war nightmare of ugly concrete, post modern buildings that even the Fascists would reject. When I visit there, I try to keep my eyes shut.

donald
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

That sums up Caen. I have not travelled extensively in Germany, but
I'm guessing most West German towns look that way too.
The god awful architecture of the fifties and sixties were proof that god has a hell of a sense of humour.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

grizzlymc wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:52 am That sums up Caen. I have not travelled extensively in Germany, but
I'm guessing most West German towns look that way too.
The god awful architecture of the fifties and sixties were proof that god has a hell of a sense of humour.
Actually, the Germans seem to have made a pretty good fist of restoring all their mediaeval towns and cities (barrowloads of Yankee lucre obviously helped). I have no idea why, but in the 1950s and 1960s the Roman Catholic church seems to have scoured the UK for every architectural school drop out with a heroin/cocaine-induced psychosis it could find to build their churches for them, "Paddy's Wigwam" in Liverpool being the ultimate example of what people with too much money and too little talent can produce.
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Ahem. Paddy's Wigwam is a fine cathedral, both to look at and the acoustics inside. I will not hear a word said against it. Not least because Liverpool, being Liverpool, has an Anglican cathedral with a catholic architect and a catholic Cathedral with an Anglican architect.
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

Evidently he thought that their fondness for Holy Water would extend to a leaky roof.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Well when Westminster Abbey finally solves that issue, after 950 years, you can gloat.
Buff Orpington
Grizzly Madam

Post by Buff Orpington »

FreddBloggs wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:48 pm Well when Westminster Abbey finally solves that issue, after 950 years, you can gloat.
Shoddy workmanship I agree but there was a plague on.
I know when to go out
I know when to stay in
Get things done