Suggestions for a SYW game

For your Wargames Wittering
Ilkley Old School
PurpleBot

Re: Suggestions for a SYW game

Post by Ilkley Old School »

If you do Leuthen you could always use some of your Prussians as Wurtemburgers on the Austrians side.

My vote would however be Lobositz. In addition to the Lobosch Hill there were Grenz in the sunken road.
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

Ilkley Old School wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:28 pm If you do Leuthen you could always use some of your Prussians as Wurtemburgers on the Austrians side.

My vote would however be Lobositz. In addition to the Lobosch Hill there were Grenz in the sunken road.
The Lobosch… That's the badger... Dunno why I couldn't remember that name when the battle's called Lobositz...
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

I got a quarter kilo of lobositz the other day, makes a great sandwich. Were all the funny names because Freddy was campaigning in Sleezier.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep Lobositz in mind for a future game (& when I get more Austrians!)

donald
RMD
Jezebel

Post by RMD »

grizzlymc wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 am I got a quarter kilo of lobositz the other day, makes a great sandwich. Were all the funny names because Freddy was campaigning in Sleezier.
Did you put some Soor and Breslau on it?
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Along with a little grated Grenzer.
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

RMD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:17 pm That's the badger...
Saw a great sticker on the back of a tractor-type farm vehicle moving (very) slowly along the road the other day:-

"Don't honk, I'm going flat out - like a badger on a bypass."
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
World2dave
Jezebel

Post by World2dave »

Leuthen is one of those battles with a dramatic tactical manoeuvre by one side that results in a decisive win. I suspect they're generally quite tricky to replicate on the table, but I agree with the temptation to try it and look forward to hearing how you get on.
ochoin
Gaynor

Post by ochoin »

World2dave wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:34 am Leuthen is one of those battles with a dramatic tactical manoeuvre by one side that results in a decisive win. I suspect they're generally quite tricky to replicate on the table, but I agree with the temptation to try it and look forward to hearing how you get on.
Dave, I'm not trying to entirely re-write history. When my pals turn up, all the figures will be on the table, in their historical positions, with the Austrians looking the wrong way in order to simulate surprise at Fred.'s unexpected appearance.

The Prussians need to take Leuthen village to roll up the entire & off-table ,Austrian army before re-enforcements came to garrison the village.
So the game will be their attempts to defeat the Austrians on the table (Nadasty's left wing corps) & any re-enforcements that arrive (cavalry brigade). Our game will end when/if the Prussians reach Leuthen by Turn X (still thinking…).
That’s their Objective. The Austrians simply (!!??) need to stop them. That's their Objective.

What happened before the Prussian flank march is unimportant.
What happened after the Prussians reached Leuthen will be a game for another day.

I'll try to do a photo report.

donald
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

You really need to understand your rules well to make this sort of thing work. I did Plancenoit once and from my start line to the objective would have taken two turns more than the game lasted for my vanguard with no opposition. My main force artillery got two turns of fire, the main force, which was needed to balance my numbers against the French never got near the village, despite zero opposition. Make sure that the Prussian objective is actually doable in the timespan of the game.