Panzer Grey rattle can - any ideas?

For your Wargames Wittering
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Re: Panzer Grey rattle can - any ideas?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Etranger wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:57 pm Baron , this way lies madness. Each design of French armour had it's own distinctive camouflage scheme, which was factory applied. That scheme could vary from batch to batch and from factory to factory (for the small number of types produced at multiple sites).

<snip?

Then there's markings....
Not so much - PSC are doing a four-can package, and I reckon a dark/olive green (American or Russian) would sort out the base colour for French and Japanese tanks; the other tones I would paint on. The other three cans are looking like the Panzer grey, British khaki, and British green.

Yes, the markings are fun aren't they - I have several sheets of decals and a place booked at the local asylum..... :hair:
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
Baron Mannshed von Wreckedoften, First Sea Lord of the Bavarian Admiralty.
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Don't PSC do a French Camo can?
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

No, they do British, American and Russian dark green, Panzer grey and mid-/late-war sand, and some uniform colours.

Am I right in thinking that German uniforms worn in Poland and France had more of a green tinge in the tunics, whereas afterwards they gravitated towards all grey?
Kein Plan überlebt den ersten Kontakt mit den Würfeln. (No plan survives the first contact with the dice.)
grizzlymc
Grizzly Madam

Post by grizzlymc »

Pre 1942, the jacket was very green with pants in steingrau - a sort of slate. Then the pants went feldgrau. Over the next three years, they got greyer and then, as recycled stuff was added could go an almost brown colour.

They may have had a shortage of green dye. Olives are a mix of black and yellow; the blueish green built into feldgrau might need chromium as a pigment. Even the allies found better uses for chromium than making things green.
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 pm No, they do British, American and Russian dark green, Panzer grey and mid-/late-war sand, and some uniform colours.

Am I right in thinking that German uniforms worn in Poland and France had more of a green tinge in the tunics, whereas afterwards they gravitated towards all grey?
It was the trousers that changed, from stone gray to field gray, probably starting around the time of the French campaign.

As to what colour feldgrau is, take your pick.

Interesting, if somewhat technical discussion at http://www.dererstezug.com/germanwoolfabric.htm
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

Oh, and Char Francais have plenty of photo for the Cammo patterns markings etc. http://www.chars-francais.net/2015/index.php My schoolboy French is enough to get around the site easily enough.

Good luck reproducing this one though.

If you can find one (I can't for love or money) then this may help: https://www.forties-factory.com/librair ... 61178.html
BaronVonWreckedoften
Grizzly Madam

Etranger wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm Interesting, if somewhat technical discussion at http://www.dererstezug.com/germanwoolfabric.htm
Would have been nice if he could have dated all the tunics to give some idea of colour variation throughout the war. It was interesting to learn that they dyed the wool before it was spun, rather than after, or as a finished garment.
Etranger wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 pm Good luck reproducing this one though.
I actually have a book that Mr Troop lent me at Partizan a couple of years ago, which has "Fantasque" (often wrongly labelled "Fantastique") as a colour plate. Having been sent on an art course by my wife for my birthday a few years back, and actually painted a woodland scene very much like that, I'm seriously considering giving it a go (I do have three Char B1s to work with). Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the same technique (palette knife) that I used on the canvas, but I'm working on it......
Peeler
Grizzly Madam

Post by Peeler »

Etranger wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm As to what colour feldgrau is, take your pick.
Feldwebel Wilson would think they were very smart. Especially the one top left. Intersting to see the different colours & styles though. Does that picture include Privates & Officers jackets, do you know?
Etranger
Jezebel

Post by Etranger »

The collar tabs suggest that they're all OR tunics although a couple of those in the top row look to be fairly senior NCOs
Shahbahraz
Jezebel

Post by Shahbahraz »

Did some one say French tanks?

Wargames dreams never die, they just get left in a box.

----https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/----