Ayton, Friday 29th April - Sunday 1st May 2022.

For Loose Games & Shows.
Buff Redux
PurpleBot

Re: Ayton, Friday 29th April - Sunday 1st May 2022.

Post by Buff Redux »

The original working title was Blood and Thunder. I suspect that our constant references to Thud and Blunder had something to do with the name change.
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

I was quite surprised to learn on Saturday night that there was broad agreement that this coming Ayton should be a two day 18thC bash. The proposal was mentioned again on the Sunday night and I believe the idea has shifted from being just a proposal to a plan almost set in concrete.

I think that's a splendid idea but I'm rather sure that Simon is expecting to host his 18thC dungeon game in May - I don't think he was privy to the Saturday and Sunday night discussions.

As for the 18thC rules, SS&S were of course discussed, as were Black Powder, but Dave and I have already decided to use a very simple set of rules (no, not Rank and File......we've gone for something even simpler) we play tested earlier this year.

Iain
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

admit it, shiny rules with the musket variation?
Jeremy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Jeremy »

As it’s the anniversary, what about golf shirts?
Norman D. Landings
Grizzly Madam

Post by Norman D. Landings »

Shot, Steel & Stone on the table.
Simon's dungeon under the table.
Seamless multilevel 3d terrain.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

we need a ballon game so we can have shit from the skies as well to make it truly 3d.
goat major
Grizzly Madam

Post by goat major »

Essex Boy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 pm I think that's a splendid idea but I'm rather sure that Simon is expecting to host his 18thC dungeon game in May - I don't think he was privy to the Saturday and Sunday night discussions.
I was definitely there when it was discussed. Glad I make such a long lasting impact. :shock:

I'm extremely happy to put the dungeon thing on hold for another time - I'm not entirely mojo-ed with it at the moment so I can maybe paint some tricorne figures instead.
Essex Boy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 pm As for the 18thC rules, SS&S were of course discussed, as were Black Powder, but Dave and I have already decided to use a very simple set of rules (no, not Rank and File......we've gone for something even simpler) we play tested earlier this year.
Very much looking forward to these, they sound good fun
Goaty bloggy thing http://goatmajor.org.uk
Goaty twitty thing http://www.twitter.com/GoatMajor
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

Oops. Sorry.
FreddBloggs
Grizzly Madam

Post by FreddBloggs »

Do these rules do away with you having to draw cards or roll dice EB, you know, to give you a chance!

As an aside, should I be able to make it, what size are the units for this game, so even if I do not have an army I can have painted some tricorns ready?
Essex Boy
Grizzly Madam

Post by Essex Boy »

FreddBloggs wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:01 pm Do these rules do away with you having to draw cards or roll dice EB, you know, to give you a chance!

As an aside, should I be able to make it, what size are the units for this game, so even if I do not have an army I can have painted some tricorns ready?
Aim for a frontage of about seven or eight inches for close order foot. A little bigger or a little smaller makes no difference. Include enough figures to make it look like it's a close order unit - so two ranks would be best.

Cavalry have roughly the same frontage as foot (regardless of type). Make them look close order if they're dragoons or heavies - lighter cavalry can be opened out a bit if you want, but that's not important. Whether you have two ranks of troopers in a unit or just one is up to you.

One gun model is a battery (at the moment it is at least).

Ideally, you would have three units and a battery brigaded together with a mounted brigade commander, but I'm sure you'll be able to borrow extra troops to make up a brigade.

Hope that helps.

E